How solid is the Mac Mini Upgrade Rumors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DingoAce10, Mar 19, 2008.

1. DingoAce10 macrumors newbie

Thank god I checked here first. Was planning on going out tonight and buying a mac mini, but then I saw in the buyers guide that there is a rumored upgrade to it...How solid is that "within a few weeks" date, do you think? Is that when they will be starting to upgrade and they won't hit stores until the summer?
    I am really in the need for a new PC and was hoping to purchase one very soon.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/07/penryn-imac-and-mac-mini-updates-soon/

Thanks very much!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Welcome, and good job on doing some research before making your purchase. A lot of people don't bother.

This site and the forums are for news and rumours. News is reported when its verified. A rumour is just that: no one can confirm or deny a rumour on this site without more information, information that Apple closely guards.

In other words:
    Well it would be nice to see a refresh/upgrade to the Mac Mini line, no one here will be able to tell you it's happening until Apple makes the announcement.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Or worse, they come here 5 days after the purchase to whine and complain. "Why didn't Apple tell me it was going to upgrade?"
    "This is so unfair"
    "Now I have an obsolete computer"

There are loads of posts about possible mini updates. As you will see they are based on the fact that Apple has been updating other products with similar guts, so it's reasonable to think the Mini will get a similar upgrade soon. But how soon no one really knows. If you really need it, buy it now knowing that you're getting a great little computer. If you can wait, wait, knowing that you'll get an even better little computer when apple releases the new one.

4. DingoAce10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!
    I will wait until early April and see if anything has changed...If not I will just go a head and buy the mini that is in the stores at the time.
    I don't need it for much (music, movies mostly), so not sure how much that rumored upgrade would help me anyways...But like a lot of other people, I need the latest and greatest of whatever I am buying :)

Thanks again!

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Check refurbished section too

Don't forget to watch the refurbished section of the online store. It is updated often, best deals are gone by the end of the morning. Refurb items are warranted as if they are new. You can get a great deal on a refurb, and see then wait to see what is offered in a year or two by Apple.

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

If you want the "latest and greatest", the Mac Mini would not be it. It's Apple's bastard step-child. An update has been rumored for ages, to no avail. And when it does finally get updated, it will be underwhelming for most people.

With that said, I got a Mini a couple months ago and love it. As long as you're aware of its uses and limitations, it'll be a good little machine for you.

7. DingoAce10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input dongmin.
    Like I said...I won't be using the mini for any "heavy lifting". Music, Movies, kid games, surf'n the net and MS office. That is about it.
    My father is buying the Mac Pro to do HD movies, so if need be in the future I can just use his until I get a pro of my own.
    Just need something small for now.

THanks again!