How Soon Before Blu Ray / HD DVD Is "Affordable?"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by astrostu, Jul 26, 2007.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

Just curious for folks' take on this. If BluRay wins, when do you think the drives and media will be "affordable," such as maybe a $100-200 add-on for the drive, and media down in the $1 or less range? If HD DVD wins, same question.

I have so much archived on optical media that I'm looking to cut it down by a factor of ~10x ...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have an X360 HD DVD drive (US$179/NZ$249) hooked up to my Mac right now. I need to use Windows to play the movies, so I'm hoping that Leopard includes support, but I think it's affordable as-is.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

blank DL DVDs are hard to find for $1 each and you want blank Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for $1? you'll be waiting a long time probably. there also isn't even any external (or even user-installable internal) HD-DVD burners as far as i know. i think the only way of getting one is by buying the new Toshiba notebook that has one pre-installed. Blu-Ray burners are down to about $500 right now. so there's still some time to go before the drives are in your range. as far as media prices go, i'm guessing years before they hit $1 each blank.

4. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sigh ... :(

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Right now blu-ray discs are about $15 and burners $450.. I think you can safely assume those prices will be cut in half by this time next year. If you're even more optimistic, i think you're looking at burners for $200 and discs at $5 a year from today.

Let's hope they're even cheaper.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD have sold pretty badly so far, Blu-ray has just sold less badly. Whichever hits $99 first should gain a pretty solid lead over the other. If I were the manufacturers I would be rushing to get the price down ASAP.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

HD-DVD is already available as a $179 add-on, and it comes with 5 free movies. It's called the XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on; and before someone mentions the fact that you need an XBox 360, Mac OS X recognizes the drive, so as soon as Leopard comes out with the ability to play HD-DVDs, that drive should work with any Mac.

External USB 2.0 HD-DVD drive for $179.