How soon for a job interview follow up email?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Apr 4, 2012.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I have a feeling I did not get a job that I recently interviewed for, but would like to give a follow up email to see if a decision has been made for the position. (Email seems to be the preferred correspondence as the two interviewers were very busy even during my interview).

The interview was one week ago yesterday, I figured one week may be good, but I do know there were a lot of candidates, and it is for a position that opens in June. Should I email so soon? Or should I wait another few days?

Opinions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you ask "When can I expect to hear back from you?" I would wait until then.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You should send a letter, not an email, thanking them for interviewing you and give your email/phone information there and let them contact you. This is also a good time to reiterate your strengths and how you would be a good fit.

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nope. I really wish I could have though. The interviewer and I ended up BSing a lot and talking about software development and then about things we both enjoyed, instantiated by him (we are both avid snow sports enthusiasts ;) ).

Sadly in all the talk the "When can I expect to hear back from you" slipped my mind :(

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wanted to do this but both gave me their email address so I assumed they prefer correspondence through email.

I do have the business card of the one so perhaps I should still send a hand written thank you. I don't know if it would hurt verses help being almost a week since my interview :/

6. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

In general, it won't make any difference. With the exception that it allows you to feel that you've done everything possible to "earn" the position.

Personally, if it's a technical job, I wouldn't do it. If it's sales/HR/some other kind of touchy-feely position then maybe.

You'd be better off spending the time networking another lead.