iPod touch How soon for the 32GB or larger itouch

The5Efan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Any word about a larger storage cap for the itouch. I want to get one now; but would really like more storage. Any hope for a memory slot too.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Any word about a larger storage cap for the itouch. I want to get one now; but would really like more storage. Any hope for a memory slot too.
there is no word but don't be thinking that this will happen anytime soon. leopard was just released, next its the macbook and mac pro then the mbp. i really can't see them increasing size until middle to late next year when prices for the storage are a little bit cheaper

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
probably a year, sept, there will never be a memory slot, apple dont like things not being as advertised, ie - 8gb ipod (expandable to 16gb) they like things simple

chall5

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
UK
memory slots can cause a lot of problems as well

I think flash chip prices will also dictate when a higher capacity iPod will become available

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
The 32MB or larger iPod touch already exists. You can buy it in 8GB or 16GB models. If you want a 32GB or larger model you'll have to wait for next year.

JohnMC

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
The 32MB or larger iPod touch already exists. You can buy it in 8GB or 16GB models. If you want a 32GB or larger model you'll have to wait for next year.

JohnMC
Maybe the OP has really low expectations?! :D

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago
Here's how it is going to go...

Next fall, the iPod touch will come in two models; a 16GB and possibly a 20GB model

Then every year, the higher end touch will expand by 4-8 GB's

That's my prediction.

Prof. :apple:

xXriderXx7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Lake Elsinore, California
Here's how it is going to go...

Next fall, the iPod touch will come in two models; a 16GB and possibly a 20GB model

Then every year, the higher end touch will expand by 4-8 GB's

That's my prediction.

Prof. :apple:
From my understanding, flash memory can only double in capacity. Hence the 8 GB and the 16. So wouldnt the next model be a 32?

gco212

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
probably a year, sept, there will never be a memory slot, apple dont like things not being as advertised, ie - 8gb ipod (expandable to 16gb) they like things simple
Please tell me you don't actually believe this? Apple will never put in a memory slot because it will deter people from upgrading and buying new iPods. Every other reason is just an excuse.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
Flash memory is still too expensive and in short supply. Apple's recent revamping of the iPod range and slow rollout of the iPhone does not help, as it is hoovering up much of the available capacity. It is for that reason the iPhone's capacity cannot rise above 8GB without becoming too thick for Apple's aesthetic sensibilities. Even when 16GB modules become available on a large enough scale for mass production purposes, the cost will make the iTouch and iPhone prohibitively expensive.

Keep an eye on the current cost of 16GB USB pens. When they fall in price, then you will see movement on the iTouch/iPhone.

cwolves

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
From my understanding, flash memory can only double in capacity. Hence the 8 GB and the 16. So wouldnt the next model be a 32?
No, that's not true at all. It is, however, how the products are released and it will probably stay that way until flash memory gets to the scale of HD storage and suddenly there's an actual difference between 750GB and 1TB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.