How soon for the 32GB or larger itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The5Efan, Oct 26, 2007.

1. The5Efan macrumors newbie

Any word about a larger storage cap for the itouch. I want to get one now; but would really like more storage. Any hope for a memory slot too.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

there is no word but don't be thinking that this will happen anytime soon. leopard was just released, next its the macbook and mac pro then the mbp. i really can't see them increasing size until middle to late next year when prices for the storage are a little bit cheaper

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

probably a year, sept, there will never be a memory slot, apple dont like things not being as advertised, ie - 8gb ipod (expandable to 16gb) they like things simple

4. chall5 macrumors regular

memory slots can cause a lot of problems as well

I think flash chip prices will also dictate when a higher capacity iPod will become available

5. JohnMC macrumors 6502

The 32MB or larger iPod touch already exists. You can buy it in 8GB or 16GB models. If you want a 32GB or larger model you'll have to wait for next year.

JohnMC

6. mmfy macrumors regular

Maybe the OP has really low expectations?! :D

7. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Since I bought the 16GB one, the answer is not soon enough :p.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Here's how it is going to go...

Next fall, the iPod touch will come in two models; a 16GB and possibly a 20GB model

Then every year, the higher end touch will expand by 4-8 GB's

That's my prediction.

Prof. :apple:

9. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

From my understanding, flash memory can only double in capacity. Hence the 8 GB and the 16. So wouldnt the next model be a 32?

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If that's how it is, then yes.

Prof. :apple:

11. gco212 macrumors 6502

Please tell me you don't actually believe this? Apple will never put in a memory slot because it will deter people from upgrading and buying new iPods. Every other reason is just an excuse.

12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

there will never be a 32GB itouch, Yet i would guess september 2008 for an iPod touch, NO SOONER, maybe even 2009 depending on the cost of flash memory

13. weckart macrumors 68040

Flash memory is still too expensive and in short supply. Apple's recent revamping of the iPod range and slow rollout of the iPhone does not help, as it is hoovering up much of the available capacity. It is for that reason the iPhone's capacity cannot rise above 8GB without becoming too thick for Apple's aesthetic sensibilities. Even when 16GB modules become available on a large enough scale for mass production purposes, the cost will make the iTouch and iPhone prohibitively expensive.

Keep an eye on the current cost of 16GB USB pens. When they fall in price, then you will see movement on the iTouch/iPhone.

14. cwolves macrumors regular

No, that's not true at all. It is, however, how the products are released and it will probably stay that way until flash memory gets to the scale of HD storage and suddenly there's an actual difference between 750GB and 1TB.