How soon will Lion be pre-installed on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by T-Mac, Jun 9, 2011.

1. T-Mac macrumors member

Once Lion is officially released, how soon will you be able to purchase a BTO iMac that comes with Lion pre-installed? Same day?

Another question. If I buy a new iMac with lion on it, can I later install lion on my existing snow leopard Macbook via the App Store without paying the $29. In other words, does buying the iMac also purchase the software for use on other machines.

2. technologylive macrumors member

technologylive

I think they will put Lion on new Macs at the same time it's available in the Mac App Store.
    Also on the specifications page the operating system is listed, under 'Included Software'.
    When they put 'OS X Lion' there, every new Mac ordered will have Lion on it.
    But if you order one now, you could still upgrade for free through the App Store.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Lion was officially launched on first day of WWDC last monday. But it hasn't been sold to public yet. So, if you buy now, you may get Lion for free, although you have to obtain them through MacApp Store rather than restore DVD if you purchase Mac later.

I think Lion will be available as restore disk in July. And you can use Lion upgrade for any Mac (with core 2 duo minimum) you control and have your ID in there.