How soon will my Air become obsolete?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GanChan, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm currently using a 13" early-2014 MacBook Air which seems to be serving my needs just fine, especially since I don't require it to do massive multimedia jobs or any such thing. But I know that 3 years can be a long time in today's world of ever-increasing memory/processing/security demands. How soon will I need to think about replacing this machine -- or is it already obsolete without my even realizing it?

As you can probably tell, I don't keep up with technology very well. I ran a 2004 iBook for years and years until it was obviously both way too pokey and way too insecure to continue.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

By Apple's definitions, you're set till at least 2019.

3. leekil macrumors newbie

How much memory? That is probably a significant factor.

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

4GB. Hasn't been a problem so far, but....

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It becomes obsolete when it can no longer function as you need it too.

My 2012 rMBP is considered obsolete by many, but it still works wonderfully (other then the battery not lasting long).

6. SandPebble macrumors regular

I have a mid 2011 MBA 11". It is not my main machine but it does everything I want and need to do.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm typing this on a 2013 MBA 13", which is my main computer. It's a wonderful, wonderful machine. The only thing it struggles with is the latest games, which given that playing games doesn't earn me money, is not something that bothers me. Everything else still runs like a dream.

If you're the type to use a lot of tabs in your browser, then uBlock Origin will help your MBA last much longer.

4GB RAM is not the problem it used to be. Your MBA still has one of the fastest SSDs in the world, which does 300-600 MB/s, so paging in and out of RAM is lightning fast. Forget the days of HDDs when computers bogged down when out of RAM. With modern SSDs, computers rarely suffer from running out of RAM unless you try very hard.

I have 8GB RAM on mine, and I've tried to open every app at once, and I don't think I've ever actually run out of RAM.

The only annoyance I have with mine is the SSD is only 128GB, and I wish I'd gone for 256GB or more.