How SSD Affects Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknobrat2003, Apr 1, 2011.

1. teknobrat2003 macrumors member

Does having an SSD drive in a Macbook Pro 2011 13 inch increase or decrease battery life? Or does it have little effect?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It seems to be pretty much the same. Some people report minor gains (~30 mins or so) while others say there is no difference. In reality, you would have to test it properly to see if there is any difference. Using the estimated battery time thingy as timer isn't very reliable.

3. BrandoFiasco macrumors member

It definitely increased my battery life, cant say for sure how much but if i had to guess; around 30-45mins. I was shocked, i didnt think it would make a big difference. Got a full 3.5 hrs on my late 2008 uMBP. wooooo! gawd, i need one of the newer models.

4. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Adding an SSD to my MacBook Pro definitely increased the battery life, but only marginally. I would estimate around half an hour. It definitely won't hurt your battery life though!

5. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

heh :S I get around 4-5 hours with 50% brightness and browsing on the 2011 mbp :´( (without the Vertex.. it hasnt arrived yet.)

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It depends on the SSD too.
    Some like the kingston V+100 and the thoshiba that apple sells have very low idle power. 0.2W
    While the sandforce drives are usually around 0.5-0.7W idle but lower under load. Intel is somewhere in between.
    A HDD is around 0.8W idle thus with a toshiba drive you can increase max battery life a bit. My notebook needs 8.5W when sitting almost idle with low brigthness. With the right SSD that could be 8W. That is about half an hour with the 15".
    Also much harder to measure but sure to have some effect is that with a SSD many tasks finish sooner and the SSD returns to idle much more quickly and also the CPU and other stuff can enter power saving states faster when the finish their work sooner and do not need to wait as long for IO requests.