How stable is Adobe CS6 on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scopedk, May 27, 2013.

1. scopedk macrumors newbie

How stable is CS6 on mac? I heard people having crash issues?

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I have used CS3,4,5 and now 6 on Mac; photoshop, premiere pro and AE and have not found CS6 to be any more or less stable than any of the others on average.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Sadly of all CS versions, 6 is the most stable.
    However we are not sure where were going after due to the Cloud debacle :p

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Have you tested both on computers without any underlying hardware issues?

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The only thing is that Photoshop CS6 chokes on my 4GB of RAM. To the point where it locks up for a minute. But it's a RAM issue more than it is an Adobe one.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hide all of your system directories from spotlight. If you have disk warrior run that too. It'll cut down on some of the conflicts between scratch disks, pageouts, and spotlight activities. It's just the combination that starts to create issues and disk grinding. More ram would fix it too, but my suggestion would fix it right now:D.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Theses days I would want at least 8gb in a Mac or Windows machine. The good news is that memory sticks are a relatively inexpensive enhancement.

9. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Well, I'm working on CS5 and CS6 (CC)
    at home: Mac mini i7 16 GB RAM, SSD. HD3000, OS X latest
    at work: Lenovo 12 cores, 16 GB RAM, HDD, Quadro 2000 and Win XP 64 (So movie making isn't an option.
    &
    Mac Pro, 11 GB RAM, HDD (RAID) 7300 GT, OS X 10.6.8

On Windows I have Illustrator and Photoshop crash on me (the scratch is on a separate drive) but it seems to be caused by the nVidia drivers for the Quadro card, it's constantly a hassle (At the moment only one screen of the two attached is working, the card won't see the second one)

On the Mac Pro, which I mostly use for Premiere and After Effects, I seldom have any crashes and it's a very smooth experience opening and using PSDs and AI files.
    Only have had crashes when doing a lot of layers and doing "too much" not really a specific issue could cause.

The Mac mini is just a blast, never any issues or crashes, and I use most of what the Creative Cloud offers (It's for fun, hobby and a bit work).

So agreed, it's not compared to a modern Windows 7 with modern specs...but I did also say "IMHO" ;)

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Would that not conflict with Alfred?

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You will find people posting about problems with Safari, OS X in general, Word, Photoshop, Logic --- in short anything they happen to be using.
    There is however a significant difference between "I'm having a problem with my computer right now" and "OMG this software is unstable and won't ever work for anyone under any conditions!"

FWIW, I have been using CS6 for over six months and haven't had any problems using it. There are almost certainly going to be "known issues", and you should find details of those on Adobe's support pages.

The odd crash is perhaps inevitable, but apps like InDesign handle such things very gracefully, usually restoring your document from temp files on the next launch.

I see no pitfalls or problems with the purchase of a perpetual licence for CS6. I would advise people to then SHUN Adobe's Creative Cloud, whereby you have to rent the software forever* from them.

But I digress.

*forever, if you plan to open your documents in Adobe software in the future.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Are you suggesting it would somehow interfere with the bat signal? Anyway I'm not familiar with Alfred on OSX, but what I suggested would solve some of your PS headaches. If you want to revert, just revert your preferences.

Much of CS6 is still supported on Win XP, and NVidia still updates the Quadro 2000. I guess it could be the combination, or it could be something else. That sounds annoying though.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Alfred depends on Spotlight, which is why I ask.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Well the stuff I suggested blocking was just the system level stuff. I have no idea what Alfred looks at outside of the Batman joke. The point was spotlight tends to lag out on the use of scratch disks. Photoshop is using scratch disks because you lack the gargantuan amounts of ram needed to limit their use. I am unsure whether it will be an issue, but it's just a privacy tab in your system preferences. You can do it through the terminal too, but it's not necessary.