How stable is Mavericks on a 1.1 1.2 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by koalb, Apr 28, 2014.

1. koalb macrumors newbie

I've got a 2006 Mac Pro (3Ghz) running 10.7.

I've been reading about the hack that enables Mavericks to run on the now, non-supported 2006-2007 Mac Pro.

My question is for those who have already made the jump, how stable is the performance you're seeing?

Does it crash and freeze a lot?
    Do all the apps work? (Heard that messages and Face Time don't).
    Does it support additional security updates via the App Store?

Thanks!

2. jukebox1298 macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 2006 Mac Pro

using Tiamo's replacement boot.efi and have had NO problems with it at all. FaceTime, NVRAM, everything works just fine, and it is very stable. I also run MS Office, iLife, and Parallels Desktop with Windows 7/8.1 and Linux VMs, again no problems at all. Only issue I had was the update to Mavericks 10.9.2, which overwrote the patched boot.efi, and caused it to quit booting. Easy fix was to re copy the patched boot.efi back to system, and is once again working fine. Have to wait and see what update to 10.9.3 is gonna do.

3. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

+1 to the above. It works flawlessly on my 1,1 with a Radeon 2600 XT. I just wish they kept support for display brightening on older Cinema Displays. :( :sigh:

4. Earl Urly macrumors regular

I have mine running a BOINC project and it's been nothing but stable.

I did have an issue with the non-updated nVidia drivers; I found it quicker just to reinstall the SFOTT modified Mavericks install than attempt to clean them out or run the upgrade to the 10.9.2 Security Update compatible web drivers.

5. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Mine has been fantastic apart from Messages not working that's it.

6. HuntingPudel macrumors member

I'm running a 3GHz 1,1 and Mavericks is working great with the Tiamo boot.efi. I am having an odd crash on launch problem with Preview, but everything else just plain works.

7. Rog210 macrumors regular

Messages can be fixed my installing a fileNVRAM module in Chameleon.

8. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I used Tiamos boot.efi not Chameleon.

9. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I've got the exact same setup as you (I think - mine was an upgrade to 3Ghz Octocore, I assume you have the same upgrade?) Its been an easy upgrade, rock solid performance, and everything works perfectly!

You do have to be careful when you do updates though (10.9.1 to 10.9.2 was the last one). It tends to bork the system, and you have to replace the boot.ini file.

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It's good enough for everyday use and work. As long as you have decent GPU, plenty of RAM and SSD. 10.8 runs better IMO.

11. HuntingPudel macrumors member

OK interesting thing. The 10.9.2 update did not mess with the boot.efi file in /Boot/System/Library/CoreServices but it did replace the one in the /usr/standalone/i386 directory. Replaced that one, rebooted, and now Preview works again.

12. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Have you considered installing that package found in the boot.efi thread that automatically keeps the modified boot.efi files in place?

I just took my Mac Pro 1,1 to work so my students have a nice computer in our lab to work with. I'm just astounded at how well this 8 year old machine works. And the ability to run Mavericks is just beyond phenomonal.

13. HuntingPudel macrumors member

I was thinking of installing that, but I haven't gotten around to it. Just FYI, the 10.9.3 update didn't seem to mess with the boot.efi files.

14. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I'm personally not a fan of mavericks but I will say that I have had 0 issues regarding running a 1,1 on it. Even messages worked for me without any tinkering, I know people have had issues with it though so maybe I just got lucky. As for facetime, cannot comment.

15. RVijay007 macrumors member

Has been working perfectly for me, and I use it for my own personal software programs, Parallels with Win 7, and a lot of other apps.