How stable is OS X Yosemite for day-to-day use?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by hus2k9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. hus2k9 macrumors newbie

Ive almost finished downloading Yosemite and wanted to know if it is 'safe' enough to use as on my main [and only] macbook 13 retina?

Is it really buggy? I really want to try it out!

Also is the Text message feature activated? and does it work with iOS 7 on my iPhone 5S? Or will I need iOS 8 for that as well

Thanks guys!

2. Trhodezy macrumors regular

I'm downloading Yosemite now so I can't comment on the stability however general consensus is that it is as stable as you'd expect.

Regarding the messages feature, yes you will need iOS 8 installed on your device as well as the aforementioned new Mac OS. :)

3. hus2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see, I heard iOS 8 isn't very stable right now.. The only and main feature I want is the texting through iMessage app/calling using my Mac!

4. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Cant comment on iOS 8 stuff as I'm not going to do that because I use them everyday, however Yosemite on my not so used MBA is fine hardly any bugs I've come across, if you make money/work of your MBP I still wouldn't, something might come in the next update and break something! Thats why my Mac Pro hasn't had the update installed yet.

5. hus2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.. Im in the middle of my medical school final exams.. so i use my laptop 24/7... I'm tempted to stay away now? What do you think

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Don't Blame It On The Boogie!

Try it out if you like, but... Don't Blame It On The Boogie! :rolleyes:

7. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah I'd give it a miss just to be sure, although you might want sign up to the public beta as in the summer a lot of the bugs might have been fixed by then.

8. wayoutnorth macrumors member

wayoutnorth

9. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Staying away would be the sensible thing to do, yes. Unless you have a second machine on which to install.

10. hus2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'm going to stay away. Was really desperate to try it out though! Shame :(

11. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

You could always run it in VirtualBox

12. hus2k9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats that
    Sorry newbie question!

13. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Virtualbox is a app that allows you to install operating systems within your OS like windows mac Linux etc google it, it's a good bit of software

14. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

its definitely better experience than with Mavericks last year when it was in Beta Id say, but still, its not for day to day usage yet... but apps I tried worked quite well except Hands off! and Bartender. On the other hand Adobe CC apps like PS, Ai, FL worked fine.

15. yeldarbnamdlog macrumors member

I don't rely on my MacBook Pro for work or anything, but I did a clean Yosemite install on it, and while there are several issues, none of them are machine breaking, so, for me, It's fine for day-to-day use.

Speed Download still works, VLC works, and that's pretty much all I use my laptop for...Downloading files, watching movies and listening to music in iTunes.

I'm a happy chappy...I just wish 'Dark Mode' was in DP1!!

16. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Running it now for about an hour no crash or anything besides UI glitches (many of them) and I installed a bunch of stuff like Audio Interface Drivers etc

17. deranged58 macrumors newbie

i can't risk updating my mac for now, i use it as my primary machine for work and play, and there's no way i can afford any down time for the time being :(

18. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

It is SLOW as all hell.

Do NOT upgrade to this on your production machine. Lots of bugs. VMware Fusion doesnt work either.

I like the look of it though. Not sure about spotlight taking up the centre screen.......

19. Roller macrumors 68020

If you haven't already, you'll learn that physicians tend to use tools that are proven and reliable. So, if you need your laptop to prepare for exams or any other critical function, I wouldn't install an OS that clearly has a way to go. Even if it's fairly stable now, you're bound to run across an app or two that won't run when you need it.

20. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Zero.
    Wait until the next beta, this shouldn't be publicly open IMO.

21. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Yeah I put it on my MBA, had nothing but beach balls. Definitely not ready for a primary machine, probably would have been better to not be public.

22. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Working great on my mid-2012 cMBP. Not a single issue with anything. Still though, every machine has a different set of software and circumstances, so what works great for me may not work at all for you. My suggestion to you is wait until your finals are over, do a backup, and give Yosemite a try.

23. cookies! macrumors 6502

On my 2013 MBA, it definitely has some GUI glitches, but it has had no serious crashes and is certainly stable enough for my everyday.

24. yeldarbnamdlog macrumors member

With all due respect PsykX, copy/pasting the same response across multiple threads -for example, here:
    Code:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19182540&postcount=20
    is neither helpful nor constructive.

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You simply don't want to run a beta, especially the first beta of any OS X on your main machine. The fact that you are considering it with medical school exams is just absurd in my opinion. And I would say there are a lot of great features in Yosemite to get excited about and not just that you can text with green bubble people.