Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I posted this in one of the other topics that probably had to do about stacks, but I figured I start a new one and get people's ideas of how Stacks can work like it was supposed to, and still easily show what apps are open (if you have apps in a stack).

Well, here's my idea...

Say you've got a Stack with uh... well let's just call it Generic Stack. So you've got your nice Generic Stack with all your generic programs in it. All nice an organized. You click on an app to open it, and it bounces out of the Stack and into the furthest-to-the-right position of the application area of the Dock, as if you opened it from Finder. Close the app, it bounces back.

Now let's say you've opened all the apps in the Stack. Well, there'd be a placeholder icon. Like the transparent box with the arrow in it that appears when you open a stack.

And I suppose it wouldn't matter if Stacks were limited to being only on the right side of the Dock, or not.

So that's my idea.

Anyone else?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
How is your way efficient for production and getting work done?:confused: Your way just sounds like animated cutsie stuff, again, how does that make my work more productive?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
How is your way efficient for production and getting work done?:confused: Your way just sounds like animated cutsie stuff, again, how does that make my work more productive?

Haha... I don't know, it's just an idea of how you can tell what apps are open. Everyone is complaining about Stacks being different than what was demoed at WWDC. So why don't you try to come up with how it could work instead?

Maybe there's no good way to implement it. In that case, why have Stacks at all? That's an opinion too. :)

How would you make Stacks work like it was supposed to, while still being able to know what apps are open without having to open the Stack to check?

Could Stacks, in any implementation, improve productivity and efficiency? Who knows.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Haha... I don't know, it's just an idea of how you can tell what apps are open. Everyone is complaining about Stacks being different than what was demoed at WWDC. So why don't you try to come up with how it could work instead?

Maybe there's no good way to implement it. In that case, why have Stacks at all? That's an opinion too. :)

How would you make Stacks work like it was supposed to, while still being able to know what apps are open without having to open the Stack to check?

Yes, yes I have read those post but if you really look at the WWDC video you will see plainly that Stacks is exactly how we have it in the retail version, there's no difference. I personally like Stacks the way it is except for the lack of the hierarchical folders but at any rate the best feature about Stacks is truly the download folder that needs no change.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I posted this in one of the other topics that probably had to do about stacks, but I figured I start a new one and get people's ideas of how Stacks can work like it was supposed to, and still easily show what apps are open (if you have apps in a stack).

Well, here's my idea...

Say you've got a Stack with uh... well let's just call it Generic Stack. So you've got your nice Generic Stack with all your generic programs in it. All nice an organized. You click on an app to open it, and it bounces out of the Stack and into the furthest-to-the-right position of the application area of the Dock, as if you opened it from Finder. Close the app, it bounces back.

Now let's say you've opened all the apps in the Stack. Well, there'd be a placeholder icon. Like the transparent box with the arrow in it that appears when you open a stack.

And I suppose it wouldn't matter if Stacks were limited to being only on the right side of the Dock, or not.

So that's my idea.

Anyone else?

Your idea is ok (I didn't quite understand the last part though). personally, I like the way the stacks worked in that leopard beta video. I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

At the risk of stating the obvious let me mention that you can easily reproduce most of this behavior using current implementation of stacks.

For example, i have a stack called internet. I created a folder called internet, put inside aliases of Safari, Firefox, Seamonkey and made a stack out of it. I also put in the same folder a big icon with an image of internet i picked up on the web. This last part is optional - i just really don't like the look of Frankenstein monsters sitting in my dock.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, yes I have read those post but if you really look at the WWDC video you will see plainly that Stacks is exactly how we have it in the retail version, there's no difference. I personally like Stacks the way it is except for the lack of the hierarchical folders but at any rate the best feature about Stacks is truly the download folder that needs no change.

Hmm... maybe it wasn't the WWDC video. But I remember Stacks as being able to get any group of items just by selecting them, and dragging it to the Dock.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I just figured it would be cool to be able to do that (drag any items into a Stack without making a new folder) and just try to find how it could work in the way that would show you what apps are open inside the stack.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Your idea is ok (I didn't quite understand the last part though). personally, I like the way the stacks worked in that leopard beta video. I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

At the risk of stating the obvious let me mention that you can easily reproduce most of this behavior using current implementation of stacks.

For example, i have a stack called internet. I created a folder called internet, put inside aliases of Safari, Firefox, Seamonkey and made a stack out of it. I also put in the same folder a big icon with an image of internet i picked up on the web. This last part is optional - i just really don't like the look of Frankenstein monsters sitting in my dock.

Yeah, that could work. But then you've have to make new folders for every new stack. I suppose it's not that big of a deal though. I just don't like having to do that I guess. :)

Let's say you get a Safari update, and your Safari is in a folder called Internet (because you want an Internet stack). When you update Safari, does it know to replace it in that folder? Or would you have to drag the new Safari from the Applications folder into the Internet folder? I'm talking about updating from Software Update.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Hmm... maybe it wasn't the WWDC video. But I remember Stacks as being able to get any group of items just by selecting them, and dragging it to the Dock.
It was in the Leopard preview before Leopard was released. So, you are correct, it was marketed by Apple to be that way. Most importantly it worked, but for some reason they changed functionality.

This is the Leopard video you've been looking for.
If you want to make a new stack, just drag any item or group of items into the dock.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, that could work. But then you've have to make new folders for every new stack. I suppose it's not that big of a deal though. I just don't like having to do that I guess. :)

I agree. It's pretty stupid that we have to do it by hand.

Let's say you get a Safari update, and your Safari is in a folder called Internet (because you want an Internet stack). When you update Safari, does it know to replace it in that folder? Or would you have to drag the new Safari from the Applications folder into the Internet folder? I'm talking about updating from Software Update.

I'm quite sure you don't have to change the alias every time that happens. At least I've never had to do it. Also as an experiment, I just trashed my copy of seamonkey and replaced it with a new one and it didn't affect the alias.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I agree. It's pretty stupid that we have to do it by hand

It's sad that Apple has spoiled people so much. If Apple never showed the preview and the only way to create a stack was to have your apps reside in folders nobody would say a word.

My gosh, people spend so much time downloading and creating haxies to change the OS look and how it works and we spend time lots of time customizing our Macs.

Why do we have to be so lazy about creating a folder that takes all of under 2 seconds and dragging anything you want in it and then dragging it to the dock to create a stack? It's not like you're gonna have a million stacks in the dock that would take hours to set up. You're generally gonna have 3-5 stacks in the dock. What is that, 5 minutes to create?
One extra step that's easier than pressing the power button on your computer. Yes it was presented differently but that's the reality of electronics, some things get changed before releasing to the public.

The Stacks video gets talked about a lot on the forums but nobody seems to remember (or should I say selective memory) that Apple put in small print "Leopard features are subject to change upon release".

Some things don't work out well and it's best to remove them rather than having the customers upset that it's buggy. The iChat back drops should have been removed, they look horrible.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's sad that Apple has spoiled people so much. If Apple never showed the preview and the only way to create a stack was to have your apps reside in folders nobody would say a word.

My gosh, people spend so much time downloading and creating haxies to change the OS look and how it works and we spend time lots of time customizing our Macs.

Why do we have to be so lazy about creating a folder that takes all of under 2 seconds and dragging anything you want in it and then dragging it to the dock to create a stack? It's not like you're gonna have a million stacks in the dock that would take hours to set up. You're generally gonna have 3-5 stacks in the dock. What is that, 5 minutes to create?
One extra step that's easier than pressing the power button on your computer. Yes it was presented differently but that's the reality of electronics, some things get changed before releasing to the public.

The Stacks video gets talked about a lot on the forums but nobody seems to remember (or should I say selective memory) that Apple put in small print "Leopard features are subject to change upon release".

Some things don't work out well and it's best to remove them rather than having the customers upset that it's buggy. The iChat back drops should have been removed, they look horrible.

Originally, my topic was supposed to be about how to make Stacks work the way it was demoed and still be able to know what apps are running without having to open the Stack. I realize they changed it for some reason... I mean, you can at least try to come up with an idea. That's the whole point of the thread.

I never said I was completely closed to the idea of making folders to make a Stack. I just said I wish it would have worked the "old way".

I wouldn't mind making a bunch of folders just to make a Stack that I want (I used to organize my applications folder like that anyway, group related items) but I'm just saying it would be cooler if Stacks worked like the original version. Obviously they changed it because of a good reason, perhaps because it would be hard to show what apps are open in a Stack. And that leads me back to my original point... how COULD it work? But so far you've just been kind of negative. This isn't a topic about complaining. I was trying to start ideas :)

And in response to your original question again, does my idea actually make it LESS productive? If it does, then... ok, what would make it more productive? Do you think there's a way? Should Stacks just never be able to function like the original way because it might cause confusion? What's "more productive" to you?

In fact, I don't see how it makes it less productive. If you have a Stack as it currently functions with applications in it, and click on the application, it will still appear in the right-most-position of the app section of the Dock. The only addition for my idea is that it bounces out of the Stack, instead of simply appearing there. And the only reason it bounces out of the Stack (hell it doesn't even have to be a bounce) is because having 2 of the same icon would be confusing. :)

But I ask you again... what's your idea, if you even have one? What would be more productive to you as an individual?

I'm quite sure you don't have to change the alias every time that happens. At least I've never had to do it. Also as an experiment, I just trashed my copy of seamonkey and replaced it with a new one and it didn't affect the alias.

Actually, I meant moving the app itself into a new folder, without creating an alias. I think I've done that before.... If I remember correctly, I think it just put the updated version in the Applications folder, and you'd have to drag it into whatever folder you moved the app to and replace the older version. I guess I wouldn't like having a Stack full of aliases though :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Creating the folders isn't the problem. It's having the extra clutter in the filesystem that is. Why do that when there was a perfectly good way to do it before they changed it? From what I understand it wasn't buggy at all and worked fine.

But I agree with the OP, I think some sort of visual change is needed for people to not get confused.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Creating the folders isn't the problem. It's having the extra clutter in the filesystem that is. Why do that when there was a perfectly good way to do it before they changed it? From what I understand it wasn't buggy at all and worked fine.

But I agree with the OP, I think some sort of visual change is needed for people to not get confused.

I agree, it would add some unnecessary clutter by creating folders just for a new Stack. Although, I suppose you could put all your stack folders into a "Stacks" folder so they're not all over the place.

Nevertheless, it's just easier not having to do that. And also, wouldn't it be less intuitive by having to create new folders?

Going back to my original idea... the app doesn't even have to bounce out of the stack. If you open an app in a Stack, it can just stay there too. But it will also appear in the application section of the Dock. That's what it does now anyway. Launch an app from your Applications stack, it just shows up in the Dock (unless it's already there, in which case it just bounces). Either way, the app will have to appear in the app section because how else would you access that application's Dock menu?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.