How Steve Jobs would have introduced the iPhone 6/Apple Watch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Southernboyj, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Link

Fantastic read. Let me know what you guys think.

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Certainly captures Jobs' style, but otherwise...meh.

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yeah.. I ordered a 6 Plus. I just think the wording is on point.

4. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

That's incredible! Thanks for sharing. Never really thought about this before, but :apple: Watch does seems fragmented in that there's too much choice and too much customization, instead of the iconic one and only, like the original iPad and iPhone. It's good that you brought this to our attention. Perhaps it is more evidence that Apple will never be the same with Steve. Not saying Apple is doomed, but time will tell how this all plays out under Tim Cook.

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

The creator of that article needs to come to the realization that Steve Jobs is gone. Also, the presentation of all the watch choices is necessary. The iPhone, etc. are all items where one style would be fine. Watches are much more about fashion with functionality than just functionality alone. If they introduced ONE Apple Watch with no choices, many people would simply not buy one. The fact that they offer athlete's a sport version with an elegant gold one offers the buyer more choices and appeals to a larger audience. Would a runner buy an Apple watch if it was only offered in the gold? Absolutely not.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wonder if some people have done the math on how many iPhone models there are now. If every iPhone had the same internals not based on carrier, there would be 29 different iPhone models sold at Apple's online store -- five 5c, six 5s, nine 6, nine 6+.

As far as I can tell, there are really only going to be six different Apple Watch models. There will be two sizes each of Watch, Sport and Edition. Everything else is interchangeable watch bands, which is like saying there are 20 billion iPhones because of all the various cases available.

In the iPhone and iPad, Apple started out with a product that eventually dropped in price to expand the market. If Apple figured out how to do this -- probably from experience with iPods, iPhones and iPads -- why should it wait four years to offer the equivalent of an iPad mini?

A whole lot of people need to get over the fact that Steve Jobs was gone. He was great, but he's gone. Apple will never be run just like it was under him, and nobody can really know what he would've done now. He created a company unafraid to change things drastically, and so a few years after his death he may have done the same thing with new information. In the early days of Mac, I'm sure Steve himself probably thought floppy disks were a great thing. In the late 1990s, obviously not. Same thing with optical drives around 1990 compared to the late 2000s.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's actually a good thing because otherwise we'd get sick of everyone and their mothers wearing the same watch if it becomes massively successful (much like the iPhone/iPad constipation that we've experienced). Being able to customize to suit one's style might drive adoption as it's also a fashion item.

8. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

watches are way more personal than phones. i think it was the right call to have a huge variety...whether or not this is the "apple" way, i don't care. i personally won't be getting the apple watch since i don't see a need for it at the moment...but i think tim cook and the apple team made a good decision having all the varieties.

9. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

That was an awesome read. Thank you sharing. Though it wasn't Steve, it did make me miss Steves presentation style.

10. Zxxv Suspended

Cant agree with this regarding the  watch

No way. Its a stroke of genius. People want to change the colour of something so personal and they want to do it to match their outfits.  Watch got this so right on so many levels. Its like they released 1000's of models in a heartbeat over night. Who else in the tech industry has done that? flooded the market? none and watch manufacturers have spent years releasing different designs. Apple boom there you go instant catch up.

and this oh my

no its not. That would be like picking a wife who never changes her clothes or hair or make up or knickers.

and

 watch is not an iPhone. They made the distinction on this. They said the mistake is to try and shrink an iPhone to a watch. The article linked to makes the mistake they said not to make. Its a watch not a phone.

now this I can agree with

I exercise already. martial arts. I know I have to do exercises. I want to do the exercises. The  watch doesn't say anything to me to make my life better. I think its more for everyday folk who lack passion to drive themselves and in this aspect I think the  watch can really help their health but I will hold off until I can see one in person and evaluate what it can do. Maybe it can do something I want.

this thumbs down

The way apple introduced apple pay was brilliant. They showed how many steps it takes a women to pay. Then they showed apple pay using less steps. It doesn't get any simpler or dramatic than that. It tells people why they need apple pay. You watch, people will start noticing it at the tills and remember the apple way then they will want apple pay. Watch now how many times you notice it. Apple has put the thought in your mind and left you to experience it.

This

I felt this was implied. I thought it'd be good with a girlfriend or wife. You thought child. Sometimes not saying something makes it magic, put there without me saying it.

And thats why I liked the keynote but most of all the piece linked to .... Steve is gone. If apple took to the stage and didn't try to be themselves they would be copycats, they'd be imitators...and thats not apple DNA