How strict is Apple with "college students?"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcoux09, May 4, 2010.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation and am interested in this as well ...

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

You should be okay, provided that your conscience is okay with it. I used an old student ID, like 1-2 years old and it still worked in the store.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't even have to mail any barcodes in.

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I think its ok as long as you are still a student when you buy it. Im also waiting for the free iPod deal before I get a new MBP for 3rd year. I think I read in my first year that if you buy online they might phone you to check if you're really a student, but if you buy in store they will want to see your student card, and then wouldn't need to phone you. But someone will have to confirm that.

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You should be ok....they don't ask for anything.

6. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Edit: Didn't read the BTS/ipod part.

Either way, in my experiences Apple isn't all that anal about the proof. A quick glance at my school ID and I was out the door. My ID doesn't have any date on it, so I'm sure you'll be fine with using your current one. Even if you graduate, it doesn't mean you can't take classes after. I highly doubt Apple would call your school to make sure you're an enrolled student.

7. natomui macrumors newbie

having worked for them...

in the store, kinda. a little bit. make sure you have the student ID of someone who looks like you, essentially.

online - well, anything goes. there's no verification online.

8. chadua macrumors member

Here's the part of the terms and conditions that applies. If they do check on whether or not you were a legit purchase you've already agreed to pay the difference in price should they catch you.

Audit Rights

Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that only eligible purchases have ordered and that all purchase conditions have been observed. Should an audit disclose after delivery (or should Apple otherwise discover) that you were not an eligible purchaser at the time you placed your order or that you have not observed all of the conditions applicable to your purchase, you authorize Apple:

* If you placed your order by credit card, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order; and

* If you paid by a means other than credit card, to (a) invoice you for the difference between the amount that you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.

* Should Apple not offer to the general public the specific products that you purchased at the Apple Store for Education, your credit card will be charged or you will be invoiced the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the closest equivalent goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.

Return to Top

9. pjgeer macrumors member

Here's a university Apple reseller's answer, at the campus I work on you are a student until the end of the summer term exam period, no matter when you completed studies during the year before hand. So no worries about your conscience or breaking rules. Come the first day of fall classes if you aren't registered then you aren't a student.

Pj

10. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

Only Adobe verifies student status

Apple does not at the time of purchase. However, they could audit you like a previous post states.

11. dcoux09 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I assumed too. I'll still have my college email until December and I may take a summer course. Also, I technically won't get my diploma until mid June, so until I have the degree in my hand, I consider myself a college student.

12. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I don't know if its true for all Apple CS but they seem to be pretty flexible with some of their policies. I have had restocking fees waived three times on a MBP, 24" LED Display (after the two weeks were up), and iMac. I have learned my lesson about buying on impulse (to be fair 1 return was for my mom). You should be fine in store but if not talk to CS on the phone and they might be willing to put in the order for you.

13. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

if your really worried about it, bring a friend whos a year younger then you to the apple store with you. Have them buy it and write them a check/cash

14. mdgolom macrumors 6502

In the store, they will ask for an ID. When you go to the educational store on-line, you accept the terms that state you're eliglble for the discount and they have the right to request you provide proof of eligibility. I've purchased in the store and on-line with my faculty/staff ID and never had that happen.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

16. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

All of what people wrote is good advice... so, now it's okay to lie, cheat and steal. I feel much better.

17. Sargiel macrumors member

It doesn't appear to me that everyone posting on this thread was advocating fraud. For example mdgolom just spoke about his experience ordering and is clearly eligible to have done so.

I can understand the temptation to wait for the next offer/update when it comes to Apple products although personally I'll be using an educational discount when buying my next iMac and do qualify.

However as someone stated earlier it sounds like dcoux is still registered until the end of the exam period so it's a moot point unless he waits until the new term when he is no longer a registered student.

And finally, even though I wouldn't be applying the discount incorrectly, it is interesting to know what burden of proof there is when ordering.

18. dcoux09 thread starter macrumors member

preach!