How stupid would it be if I bought the iMac right now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Phraser, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Phraser macrumors newbie

I am really desperate for a computer and I want it to be the iMac because I need a system for audio and visual editing and I need it soon. Would it make a huge difference if I just bought one now? How much better are we expecting the new one to be?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's never stupid to buy something you "need." Waiting to buy something you "need" is stupid.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The primary reason not to buy a new iMac right now is that it just isn't worth the price for last year's components.

In terms of real-world performance, if you play games you will notice a tremendous improvement in the new model when it arrives. Otherwise it will be marginally faster, with USB 3 (important only if you routinely use external drives) and probably a reduced glare screen.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you peruse this thread, you can see, not much is expected, except USB 3.0, a faster CPU and GPU and maybe, though still unlikely, a Retina Display.

But then again, a 2011 or 2010 iMac can fulfill your computational needs.

Also make sure to buy from the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store to get a cheaper iMac, as paying the current price for 2011 technology is considered blasphemy or something like that.

5. ATC macrumors 6502a

If you absolutely need it right now then of course there's nothing wrong with buying the current model. However, if your needs can be temporarily handled with whatever you currently have then a wait is a good idea. New models are just round the corner and who knows what goodies they bring. At worst, you'll be able to pick up a current model unit heavily discounted. A win win IMO.

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

If you really need it, buy it now. Or buy a refurbished.

While a lot of people expect new iMacs in October or so, nothing is certain. Might as well be first half of 2013.

7. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Everyone's been saying they are right around the corner since may of this year and we still have nothing. Lol

James

8. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

How did you survive without an iMac until now ? Keep on waiting a little bit more, resist ! It can be that long the wait anymore ...

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Given that the imac still sees growth, it will be coming at some point here. The update after that can't really come before the second half of next year, so something will be out. The macbook pro looked like a disappointing update too. They shoved out the rMBP into a year where hardware updates at the 15" level wouldn't have been that great. While I doubt we're going to see an immense resolution bump in the imacs this year, we may see some kind of display update. Even something to cut the glare would be an improvement.

10. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

The 2011 iMac is still a great machine -- just for goodness' sake don't pay full ticket for it, because it isn't worth that. Refurbs, discounts, etc, are the way to go. Get it for at least 15%-20% or more off MSRP and you've done something that isn't stupid in the slightest. :D

----------

Yes, I suppose we all should have known we were going to have the longest refresh period in the Intel Mac era. Don't you make all your crucial buying decisions assuming that historically abnormal circumstances will prevail?

...and it's not JUST the longest, but the longest by such a margin that if we only MATCHED the second-longest refresh interval in the Intel era, the new iMacs would already be here.

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

It's frustrating. I regret this was the generation I decided to get. Should have gotten the 2011 earlier this year.

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Should've gotten my 2011 iMac last year, and built the wife's PC this year, instead of the other way around. :mad:

13. Lankyman macrumors 68000

What I find stupid and worrying is that people cannot seem to make a decision for themselves without asking others for their opinion first.

All that matters is what you think, make decisions about your life and be happy with what you decide. It will do oodles for your self-confidence.

14. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

Get it now if you need it now, and have the budget for it. If you are not desperate for one and would like to get more value for your money, then wait. But you have to be judge for yourself how long you're willing to wait. Considering how long it's been since the last refresh I myself would personally wait.

15. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

iMac will be a collector's item soon so :p

If you need it now you have no choice right? If you just want it I would hang around until end of October just to clear up that sep/oct rumor.

16. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

I think u should wait a whille else buy one but not new, dont worth the money for last years mac !

17. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Still in the same situation like the person opening this thread... tempted, very tempted as this current machine would do me for what I need it.

I could save a couple quid with a refurb, but then I spend so much money, I am thinking to go with the whole experience, since its my first ever Imac.

Quick question for the more experienced Apple guys:

Does Apple give any sort of "Upgrade warranty", meaning if I would buy now and the new Imac is coming out sharp-ish... is there a time frame where Apple would allow me to upgrade as well?!

In line with that: DOes Apple have a "Money back warranty"?

Markus

18. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

If you can get one for cheap, then there's nothing wrong with 2011 iMac. Look and beg for discount, refurb, or any other deals. Just don't pay Apple's MSRP for it and you're good to go. Far from being stupid, or lazy.

No wonder it's really hard to wait. It's been the longest spec bump on Intel iMac history. I feel grateful and lucky for gettin 2011 iMac on June last year, fully fledged and worth the money at the time. But don't do it today.

19. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

If you are desperately wanting and needing one now, just go ahead and buy a current model. They are really nice machines and very capable for the work you want to do which is what counts. There is no guarantee there will be any new iMacs this year, only rumors and speculation so you need to keep that in mind when weighing the time frame in which you need to start getting some work done.

20. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

:D LOL - the self proclaimed "2013 iMac Evangelist" at work.
    Your constant undertone is just funny :D I'm sure you would actually be disappointed if you see an iMac this year.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The real truth is ....
    NOBODY HAS A FRIGGING CLUE !!!!

If they tell you otherwise they are lying to you.

Stupid is needing something right now, and not buying it based on rumors! :D

22. Liquinn Suspended

Isn't the longest refresh between Intel Macs the 2010 - 2012 Mac Pro?

23. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

well, I don't count the 2012 Mac Pro as an update. It was only updated with a updated processor. So yeah if you look at the 2012 Mac Pro update not as an update at all which it wasnt, the Mac pro has won the longest refresh competition. Apple is really pushing the boundaries for the desktop updates these days, ***** annoying for us the users that makes a living on their machines.

24. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

oh, come on! He's actually saying the same as a number of people on this and other threads. If the OP needs an iMac (e.g. losing money without one) or simply wants one so badly it's the same as need and the current model is capable of doing what's required, then he should get one. There are rumours of a new iMac around the corner, but there's nothing guaranteed.

25. rgdigital macrumors newbie

How much are current models discounted when new ones go on sale? 10%? 20%?