Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Hello All,

So, I have taken my PB 15" with me to a couple of places, and I am so worried about denting/bending it. Should I be? What are people experiences with the AL PB's. My old ThinkPad (Plastic), is indestructable (well I guess you could run over it with a car).... Are the PB's able to take some punishment? Is it real easy to bend/dent?

Kimo

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
I have a small dent in the back of 17" pb. I think it is from when it got smashed into a locker by someone who got mad at me one day. But other wise its held up really well.

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Although my computer is an iBook G4, I thought that maybe my opinion would help you out. I purchased my iBook in January, along with a nice little "goincase" sleeve for me to protect it.

I have taken my laptop from home to college every single day since the day of purchase. Considering that I ride my bike to college and the fact that I carry it on a normal bookbag (squeezed between huge engineering books), it has shown no signs of deterioration. I throw my bookbag around as if there was no laptop inside it, just dropping the bookbag on the floor from shoulder height (usually, this happens because I forget that my iBook is in the bookbag, I don't do it when I remember).

On three ocasions, I have dropped the laptop from my lap while it's running. On all three cases they have fallen on carpet floor.

The laptop is still running strong, no dents, scratches, nothing. It still takes me to MacRumors.com when I tell it to, now THAT'S important.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I guess it is sort of like a new. You worry about it till you get the first scratch or dent...

Happy PB 12" 1ghz owner with no scratches or dents (so far, now that I jinxed myself).

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I got a rev A 12" and its scratch and dent free. However i wouldnt rate its durability up with the ibook. I do make a serious effort to baby my powerbook and i think if i ever accidently banged it on a corner or anything like that it would dent pretty easly.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I've always toyed with the idea of my powerbook taking a bullet for me. If anything ever came down to that, it would be like the Penthouse forum for Macaddict...

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Except that there are no back doors anymore. This is an aluminum PowerBook that he's talking about, and it has all of its ports on its sides, making it harder to snag something and break it off. I had that problem with my G3 PB before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.