How sturdy is the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juggalo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Juggalo macrumors newbie

Juggalo

I tried searching for a threat to answer my question but, alas, to no avail. Now on to the question.

I recently ordered a 17" MBP and plan on using it for university (still on its way to me, haven't received it yet). I was wondering if these "desktop replacements" (ie. notebooks/laptops) could take quite a beating? Now I obviously don't plan on actually throwing the MBP around everywhere, but I do expect that there might be times when it might get bumped against chairs, tables, or hit against things on the bus and other things of that sort.

Will the case bend or get dinged? One issue I've come across on this forum is the MBP screen "shattering/blooming" for supposedly no reason at all. Should this be a problem with the notebook closed. My cell phone (Orig. Motorola Q) has a glass screen and I have accidentally dropped it from waist height a few times but the screen has never been affected (now I now that the screen is quite a bit smaller that the 17" MBP, but give me a break, it's the only comparison I have right now).

Sorry about the long winded question but to sum it up: Is the MBP built well enough that it can take a little non-intentional abuse around campus and on public transit, or should I baby the notebook and carry it around in a pouch strapped to my chest?

Thanks in advance for any/all help as this is my very first :apple: purchase.

2. gldelx macrumors member

I have a Speck clear case on my MBP, and would recommend them to add a little something extra to protect the outside from scratches/dings without taking away from the overall look/size.
    I do have a co-worker who spilled white wine on a month old MBP (ouch :(), and besides for ending up with stains inside the screen, it came out of it still working 100%.
    Not sure about other bumps it can take, but mine does seem pretty sturdy for what looks like a delicate laptop.

3. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

hey.

my recommendation for a case would be the ones sold and designed by incase. they are known to be far superior to the speck cases in their fit and also their durability, while they still remain at the same price of around $50. I recently bought one of these cases for my 15" pro and its amazing so far. It fits like a glove, while also providing ample protection. I am also a college student so i can relate. Anyway check them out www.goincase.com

feel free to get back to me with any questions or comments

-alex

4. gelatin macrumors 6502

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

+1. Ever wonder why Apple products have so much protection accessories? :p

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

Haha, exactly!

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is made from aluminium and it is designed to be portable; it's more sturdy than it looks. Use common sense in transporting it - it is an expensive piece of technological/electronic equipment, not a football. Having said that, it is designed to be carried, transported and used.

Okay, nice point and well made. However, portables are designed to be portable, so get a decent case, exercise appropriate care (it's an aluminium notebook, it does not need kid gloves) and enjoy using it.
    Cheers

8. Tosser macrumors 68030

I own an MBP, but honestly, it's not sturdy at all.

I especially liked this:
    That's the problem, isn't it? "Appropriate care" is marketing speech for "more care than most other laptops".

You should try a Thinkpad. Now that's som sturdy laptops. Of course there are others out there, which are also good. All of them sturdier than the MBP.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Like most Apple products, MBP's are designed to be aesthetically pleasing. With due care the MBP will rarely see much damage. I have a 17" MBP myself and frankly it's a bit of a PITA to take to uni.

Treat it like your baby.

10. gelatin macrumors 6502

i treat mine flipping carefully so dont tell me about appropriate care.
    i dont see why just cos youre an apple owner you cant be objective and honest about the products.
    the mbp is not perfect, it is bloody weak

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Apple should come up with a "business/professional/tough/hummer" line of portable computers that are built tough enough to survive extensive daily use and transportation without the need for the owners to buy additional protection gear for the equipment. I guess they would just continue with this cool but fragile design ethic.

12. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I think it's fairly sturdy, but mine has scratched pretty easily. I got a gelaskin cover to protect the top and cover up a couple existing scratches. Other than being large, it travels well. Just try to use a little care and common sense.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Essentially, I agree. Re Tosser's and gelatin's comments on "appropriate care", I'm not a marketing person, and I don't do marketing speak. What I meant was to treat the thing properly - it is not the most rugged or sturdy notebook on the market - it was not designed to be - but it is designed to be portable and used, and easily dented or not, aluminium is still a metal. So, it dents if you hit it off something. So do we. If I walk into something, there is a good chance I'll bruise. However, it is not a museum piece - it is a working computer, so use it. Bobbleheadbob says to use a bit of care (which is what I meant) and common sense. I agree completely. And a decent case seems a sensible precaution in the circumstances.

In any case, I never use mine on the hoof; it sits in its bag en route and is used at whatever destination I travel to, and at the place I depart from, or the hotel I stay at. When travelling on trains or planes, I have seen so many exec types "working away", (often playing Solitaire or something similar) on unstable work surfaces, scalding styrofoam cup of coffee wobbling precariously alongside an expensive piece of electronic equipment. That unnerves me.

Cheers

14. Tosser macrumors 68030

I wasn't suggesting you were a marketing person. You just used the same sort fo "fluffy" (i.e. meaningless) words.

Go take a look at an empty soda can. That thing is also metal. Leaf gold is metal too.
    Anyway, just because it's made from metal doesn't mean it's sturdy, and certainly not that it is sturdier than, say, plastics – at least not if designed properly.
    The titanium Powerbook was, of course, titanium. 99.999 pure titanium (or so they claimed). However, using "pure commercial" titanium was a crap choice, as it is too flexible – it should have been an alloy.

With that said though, there are many more things to "sturdiness" than the shell itself.

What a load of BS. With that argument you could "defend" using paper for the case, ultra thin glass for the screen or whatever.

And what's with the "use it"-comment? Of course I'm using it [just added the word "it". Without it, it gives a whole new meaning to that sentence, haha], otherwise I wouldn't be saying it's not that sturdy. It doesn't really look like I pamper it, to tell you the truth.

Yes but you guys inferred that it was indeed sturdy, which it is far from being.

Liquids have little to do with "sturdiness" – you're making a strawman argument here. I suppose unwittingly.
    However, go buy a panasonic or a thinkpad, and you won't worry about taking it out on that train or plane. Even if it's just for playing a game.

15. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

:rolleyes:

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you keep it in a nice case, you should be fine.

this is coming from someone who bikes with his MBP in a sleeve in his backpack, uses the campus shuttle, and walks around with the macbook on his back. i bring my computer everywhere, everyday (on a school day)

other than screen bruising that the genius said was caused by my walking with my macbook pro in my backpack :rollseyes: i have no dents. and the bruising is covered under warranty.

i also use the lower case of the Speck shell. Lets me have the nice finish on the display but gives me protection while its on my lap (from belts/zippers) and from whatever i put it on.

but i only have the 15"

17. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

No. I would treat if very gently.

Yes, and depending upon whats doing the dinging and where on the MBP it gets dinged, it can be very easy to do. A PowerBook I used to own slid off my bed once onto thick, plush carpeting and bent in the back side of the PowerBook where the AC adapter connects.

You don't have to strap it to your chest, but you should have a well padded sleeve/bag/case for it during travel, keep an eye on it when using it on the go and always be sure you have a secure grip on it when moving it to or from your travel sleeve/bag/case.

If you want a physically robust notebook computer, purchase an IBM/Lenovo. I can actually stand on my employer provided T61 without causing issues. I've traveled all over with this T61 without giving a second thought to where I placed it or how it went through security at the airport and it doesn't even have a scratch on it. It is literally a tank of a notebook while still being relatively thin.

But you don't want to run Windows and the MBP is also a GREAT notebook... You just have to take good care of it.

18. gelatin macrumors 6502

the top surface is very fragile. ive found it has affected my screen. the bag i carry it in is very well padded but its not good enough.
    i have to take it in for repair this week.

my speck case arrived today, didnt really want one as it bulks up the already heavy 17incher but ive found that i really need it

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well let me put it this way:

Aluminum is malleable.

20. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I am not sure how sensible it is to put a plastic case over the MBP's metal. Sure it will be cooler on your lap, but i hate to think how the extra heat trapped by the plastic is affecting the electronic components.

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

Let me add to that:

Cheap anodising is cheap in quality as well.

22. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

not sturdy, built well look swell but dont drop well

23. Tosser macrumors 68030

They drop fine, they just don't survive the impact well :p

24. Thetinguy macrumors newbie

Expect dents if you don't get a case. I have a couple. Computer still works.

25. gelatin macrumors 6502

well since i got the case the line didnt appear on my commute to work today