How sturdy is the mute switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARF900, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

One of my biggest problems with previous iPhones has been the unstable mute switch. Those of you with ip4s, how sturdy is the mute switch? How much force does it take to move it? Would it accidentally move after hitting keys, coins, or other things in your pocket?:confused:

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It's pretty sturdy... requires a fair bit of force to move it back and forth. Same with the volume controls, they're more stiff than the iPhone 3G/3GS. I think its a big improvement. The 3G/3GS volume/silent switches were way too mushy for me, not enough feedback when you pressed them.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

"If you will look in the manual, you will see that this particular model iPhone mute switch requires a range of 10 to 16 foot-pounds of torque. I routinely switch the maximum allowable torquage."

"Well, how could you be sure you used 16 foot-pounds of torque?"

"Because I used a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series torque wrench. The kind used by Caltech high energy physicists. And NASA engineers."

"Well, in that case, how can you be sure THAT's accurate?"

"Because a split second before the torque wrench was applied to the mute switch, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!"

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

5. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

This.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Very sturdy. The last mute switch was a piece that was glued onto a base. This one appears to be a solid piece of plastic or metal.

7. Inconvenient macrumors newbie

And it doesn't rattle when you shake it either.