How sturdy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stinkfist69, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Stinkfist69 macrumors newbie

I'm just curious as to how sturdy the aluminum is. Will it bend easily? How well is it protecting the insides?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The aluminum does not bend easily at all. You'd have to put a lot of force on either side of the computer to get it to bend.

3. Stinkfist69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear that

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Odd question given Mac "pro" laptops have had aluminum cases since 2003. They are much more solid (and better feeling) than any plastic case, but you still can't treat them like Panasonic ToughBooks. They are not military grade. I assume that is what you are getting at.

If you treat your MBP well it is built to last. If you are going to toss it in your backpack w/o a sleeve and then drop it like a sack of groceries you'll probably have issues.

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Has anyone been out of the house ever? Has any one ever worked with metal? Aluminum bends quite easily. Aluminum absorbs impact and bends. plastic cracks if you hit it to hard. But you can beat a polycarb mac book way more than a macbook pro.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Doesn't bend really easily BUT it will dent and scratch in a heartbeat.

8. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I've had two Thinkpads that I've traveled extensively with, and they have been rock solid. The plastic case doesn't get dented or deformed. I doubt that my MBP is as tough.

9. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Also. Avoid sitting on your uMBP and you'll be fine. :D

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually it's not an odd question at all, since the Unibodies are not really comparable to the "Classic" MBPs of old. The unibodies are much more sturdy than their older counterparts.

11. thekjs88 macrumors member

Don't let it sit in the backseat of your car if you plan on losing control of your vehicle while going 70mph because of a deer and spinning into a guard rail :) The MBP hit me in the head...6 stitches and the computer was destroyed! Luckily insurance paid and I got to get one of the mid 2009 when it was a late 2008. Other than that it seems pretty durable :)

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Ouch, a MBP to the head! :(

As for it's sturdiness, as has been mentioned it can dent very easily...accidentally dropped my cell phone from about 15cm onto the left palmrest of mine, and it has a nice little dent...

13. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

They're so bullet proof, you can bust a 9 on it and it will not penetrate.

14. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

That's what she said.

15. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

Beat me to it.

16. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i actually find the mbp more delicate compared to plastic laptops (at least for the dell vostros)

aluminum still dents easily
    i dont care how much apple fanboys say these MBP are "SO DURABLE AND STRONG" i still find myself having to baby this so it doesnt scratch/dent/etc..