Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Hey all ... first off I love my iPad to death so this is not about selling it for any other reason than a small profit. I've never sold anything on ebay before so im not sure how it works but there are some wi-fi 16gb iPads slightly used going for 650 and i was wondering how successful i would be at making a small profit. When im done i would simply buy my iPad again maybe even a bigger 3g one... are these selling so high because of the demand from the rest of the world?....any thoughts.

wow just relized im in the wrong part of the forum gosh .... can someone move me

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Hey all ... first off I love my iPad to death so this is not about selling it for any other reason than a small profit. I've never sold anything on ebay before so im not sure how it works but there are some wi-fi 16gb iPads slightly used going for 650 and i was wondering how successful i would be at making a small profit. When im done i would simply buy my iPad again maybe even a bigger 3g one... are these selling so high because of the demand from the rest of the world?....any thoughts.

wow just relized im in the wrong part of the forum gosh .... can someone move me

Demand and seller reputation. If you are brand new to eBay with zero feedback, buyers might be reluctant to pay that high of a premium.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Demand and seller reputation. If you are brand new to eBay with zero feedback, buyers might be reluctant to pay that high of a premium.

Yes i would be new to ebay ... I hope this works :/ now i do i have to accept a bid that is below what I payed for it ?

wvridgerunner

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Yes i would be new to ebay ... I hope this works :/ now i do i have to accept a bid that is below what I payed for it ?

No, you can set the reserve at any price you'd like. Just remember to factor in all of your seller fees when setting your price. You can plan on having about $50-$60 in ebay/paypal fees if your ipad goes for $650.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
No, you can set the reserve at any price you'd like. Just remember to factor in all of your seller fees when setting your price. You can plan on having about $50-$60 in ebay/paypal fees if your ipad goes for $650.

eBay and pay pal fees are very high, so be careful to take these into account. I had a 16gb iPad that I sold on eBay for $600, someone used Buy It Now, it cost me $2.60 to list it, and $50 for the final value fee. Plus Paypal(eBay) took $25.46 from me to take the payment. That adds up to over $75 that ebay gets from me selling an item that they never even touch. What a ripoff if you ask me.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
eBay and pay pal fees are very high, so be careful to take these into account. I had a 16gb iPad that I sold on eBay for $600, someone used Buy It Now, it cost me $2.60 to list it, and $50 for the final value fee. Plus Paypal(eBay) took $25.46 from me to take the payment. That adds up to over $75 that ebay gets from me selling an item that they never even touch. What a ripoff if you ask me.

ya it is that would cause me to almost break even... i would what make 50 dollars .. i would have to sell it for like 700 to make anything substantial.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Please keep in mind that offering to international buyers if fraught with it's own very large risks.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Really how so? Remember I'm new to ebay.

It's a general view that a lot of international buyers are dishonest and are only trying to scam you. How true that is, I don't know. My auctions specifically state that I'll only ship within the US...and sometimes Canada. :D

I agree with the eBay fees. They seem to just keep going up and up and up. Makes you want to look at Craigslist...except that could be dangerous too I suppose. :cool:

VyseTheLegend

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
It's a general view that a lot of international buyers are dishonest and are only trying to scam you. How true that is, I don't know. My auctions specifically state that I'll only ship within the US...and sometimes Canada. :D

I agree with the eBay fees. They seem to just keep going up and up and up. Makes you want to look at Craigslist...except that could be dangerous too I suppose. :cool:

Yeah, Craiglist is a nightmare for selling things. Even with its fees, eBay is the way to go.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
It's really not worth selling your iPad on ebay unless you are trying to sell it quick. There are tons of auctions that the iPad went for less that what it's worth (after all fees). Remember your iPad after tax was around 529 (6% tax)

In the above example the guy came away with 521.94 which is most likely less than he paid for it.

Also note since your iPad is used it's even a bigger chance you lose money on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.