How sweat proof is it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by michael31986, May 5, 2015.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

So I usually sweat a lot during cardio like dripping. Should I be worried about sweat getting into the watch and ruining it?

2. Swiss-G, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

No:

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “Apple Watch User Guide.” iBooks. https://itun.es/gb/4HEW6.l

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The :apple:Watch is >99.9% sweat proof. As added proof just find a single thread or complaint about any water damage.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's so waterproof, Apple advises that you clean it under running water.

5. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

7. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks guys. Just get worried since sweat is more sticky/salty than water and thought it would damage inside.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

We'll have the answer in a few months, now it's too early. There's no doubt, however, that sweat gunk WILL accumulate in speaker and mic orifices, band release channels and buttons, and crown. We'll see. My gut feeling is that in a few months the Internetz will be FLOODED with screams and curses.

9. dyt1983, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: remove personal identifiable info not relevant to the thread.

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I tend to agree. That's why I think I should avoid using it with cardio much. But then why have sports watch lol

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

AW is rated and advertised IPX7 so sweat will not have any negative effects unless one has a defective watch.

----------

The AW has a one year warranty. Use the watch as it was intended to be used. HRM and exercise monitoring is one of it's biggest advertised features.

12. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

IPX7 = withstands single exposure, not forever. For that, you need IPX8. Only time can tell. Chlorine in pools and showers is bad for gaskets in the long run.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I had a Garmin 210 that was IPx7 rated and worked out 5 - 6 times a week (extreme trail running, rain, mist, etc), swam and showered daily for over 2 years and never had a problem. Before that I had several other sport watches treated the same way and never a problem.

The :apple:Watch almost certainly far exceeds the IPx7 rating and is likely closer to an ATM5 rating. Apple is rightfully being very conservative. I bet gen 2 gets an ATM 5 rating.

I'm about to head to the gym now and after will be my 11th shower and I plan on doing this until I get my next :apple:Watch.

14. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

For Garmin, you have historical data. For i⌚, you're just extrapolating from a tiny fraction of a 2-year period. Only time will tell.

15. ryanasimov macrumors regular

I am drenched after my runs so I have a concern about sweat. The people who say, "It's rated for sweat, Apple says so" never address that sweat is more than water; it contains salt and oil. The tiny mic and speaker apertures could easily become clogged over time.

16. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

And don't forget that awkward moment when you push the band release button but it doesn't move. Or rotate the crown and hear the sand squeaking and you can no longer rotate it.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Today's below average and about 10 minute post workout. So far about 9 or 10 of these complete and about 350 or so to go before gen 2.:D Now time for shower number 11.

[​IMG]

18. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I get sweaty when I exercise and haven't had any issues. I clean mine with a wet washcloth after I exercise as well and then dry it.

19. redman042 macrumors 68020

If your name is Steve Ballmer, you might think twice. Otherwise you'll be fine. :D

[​IMG]

20. texasstar1981 macrumors member

the o-rings should be made out of synthetic rubber (same as the sport band) which is MUCH MUCH more resistant to chemicals and aging...

----------

just rinse it under the faucet after working out.... your sweat is easily removed by water....

21. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just been quickly passing it underwater on the top and underside of the watch. hope that helps it! IT will be nice to see how these watches are doing after months. especially the ones that get submerged and brought to pools

22. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm more worried about sweat wearing the case or band than it causing it not to function: that won't happen.

23. velleity macrumors member

For what it's worth, I've been sweating on this thing for a good two weeks now with no incidents.

Really, a good solution here might be buying AppleCare+. That way you're insured against anything, and you can happily use the watch without fear of something catastrophic happening. Though it seems reasonable that a watch designed to calculate and store athletic data would be replaced by Apple should sweat wear down the internals.

24. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

No, they advise sticking the crown portion under lightly running tap water for :10.

They also recommend not using compressed air to clean it.

25. jorsuss macrumors member

I've been seeing some quirky behavior and the only explanation I can come up with is sweat. I usually do an hour of cardio and there is a lot of sweat. When I raise my wrist the display turns on for a second, and then turns right off. Same thing if I tap the screen. This only happens when I'm in the middle of cardio and it is not consistent. Sometimes it stays on and sometimes it doesn't. Also a weird issue with the music glance. When I flick my finger up to open the glance, it turns the volume up or down immediately without even touching the controls. You can see the volume controls illuminate green and hear the change. If I try to go to the next song it registers as volume tap. This behavior only happens at the gym when i'm doing the cardio and the only thing I can think is the sweat. I tried turning on and off the watch. Today I unpaired and repaired. Next time I will disable activate on wrist raise. So I don't think the sweat does any real damage but so far for me just some weird behavior.