How the 17" MBP Handles on Your Lap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crees!, Jul 15, 2007.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

For those of you with a 17" I'm wondering how comfortable it is while lounging in a chair or bed with it on your lap. The thing making me lean toward the 17" is the higher rez display option. If the 15" would have the higher rez I'd be sold on that, but it doesn't yet.

So, what are you takes on using the 17" on your lap?

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

It's great. I use it on my lap almost everyday. On chairs though, it's not so great. Not because it's 17" but because the the screen doesn't tilt back far enough. But on sofas it's not too bad.

edit: and seeing that you have a 15 incher right now, it shouldn't be a problem. I came from a 12" PowerBook

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Read a post from another forum member complaining about this too. Said his height (he mentioned he was quite tall) made this all the more problematic. Something to take into account.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

The thing is that it's not any better than the 15" it has to do with (the location of) the hinge and how thin the laptop is.

5. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

I'll search for that other thread. With the weight of the screen, how well does it stay where you put it? Is there a certain angle where you have it that it doesn't hold it's position?

Thanks.

6. nerjajames macrumors newbie

macbook pro 17" 2.16

Great machine, I have had mine for eight months but watch out for the heat on your knees if you are using a package that is video intensive! it can get hot enough to make you put it on a table. Also don't whatever you do upgrade to OSX 10.4.10 until the airport bugs are sorted.

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

yes, there is a point that the screen will fold down BUT you would almost never be at the angle anyways because you can't really see the screen well at that type of angle.

8. xxlordgold macrumors member

If I'm using it for standard stuff laying in bed, ie web browsing, iTunes, etc., it's fine. But if I fire up anything intensive, I can last for about 5 minutes on my lap. It gets blazingly hot.

Size seems fine to me, though. Not too big or bulky.

9. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Depends.

If you let Mac OS X take care of the heat, then its sorta hot on your lap.

However I used Fan Control and it is cool to the touch and never burns me on the bed or lap.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

bought an iLap, this will prevent any risk of overheating and is awesome.