How the freakin' hell does DVD sharing work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, Sep 1, 2009.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The story goes... my MacBook optical drive is knackered and will barely accept discs anymore, if it does it doesn't want to give them back. This started happening after Apple fixed the keyboard but as I couldn't prove it nothing was done about it, but thats a different story.

I also have MBP that I have installed Snow Leopard on and I would like to install it on the MB with the faulty drive however I cannot get DVD sharing to work at all. MBP (with working drive) is running 10.6, the MB is running 10.5.7. I have dvd sharing turned on on both machines but the disk doesn't appear on the MB. Remote Install OSX doesn't do anything at all really and I don't really see the point of it as it tell you to use DVD sharing anyway?!

Can someone walk me through it?

Its doing my freakin nut in!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

DVD sharing only works on the Air (I believe)

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Why doesn't it even mention that in the Snow Leopard install instructions?

It just says if you wish to install remotely from another computer.

EDIT: ****** preview in SL wont allow to copy and paste the exact wording. This os what you get:

␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣ ␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣␣

LAME!

4. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Wrong. I successfully booted my 2009 Mac mini from remote disc, when the SL DVD was in my other laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens, running XP, over WPA-PSK encrypted wireless!. It really is VERY easy, if you try it.

What IS lame, is to lose your cool.

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Very true but I lost my cool because Apple seems to be causing me a lot of crap recently and I had spent ages trying to sort the sharing problem. My MB as mentioned was damaged by Apple (when fixing another fault) rendering it pretty much useless but I couldnt prove Apple did it so I have had to live with effectively an £800 email/web machine.

My G5 died last month and will cost around £300 to fix which is not worth it. The replacement machine the MBP has the infamous 'speaker pop sound' and will most likely need to be sent in for repair/replacement.

6. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I sympathise with your sheer frustrations, but, looking at this from a logical perspective, removing all emotions, NEITHER of your unfortunate issues are anything to do with the fact that you didn't work out how to use Remote Disc properly. We're only human, and yes, I sympathise.

I'd get writing to the top dogs @ Apple IMMEDIATELY; I hear they're very VERY good at getting stuff done. You shouldn't have to put up with a damaged machine - I know I would never let that go!.

7. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The damaged Mac is water under the bridge now and I'm just running it into the ground now as it seems to have a new problem every month. To be fair it is a RevA.

So can you tell me how you got DVD sharing to work?

Both my Macs are on the same wireless network. Both have DVD sharing turned on (only the one sharing the drive needs it on though). No matter what I try the disk doesnt appear on the other Mac. I have even tried a computer to computer network to see if that would help in locating the disc but still nothing.

Firewall on, firewall off, unprotected networks, ethernet… etc

8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Please don't think I am being rude, but I don't have time to offer support. It really is VERY easy, and there are a lot of guides around, I'm sure.

9. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Well the guides aren't working for me that why i'm posting here for help.

10. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It cant be that easy if no one else has come forward and I still haven't got it to work.

11. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

12. omfgmatt macrumors newbie

FYI to both of you, remote install only works for macbook air and the march '09 mac mini.

if you look at the remote install page on wikipedia it says it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Install_Mac_OS_X

google is your best friend.

13. Vster macrumors 6502

Ah crap, no wonder it didn't work when I tried to reinstall on my ModBook w/a broken drive ugh

14. hallaisen macrumors regular

I had pretty much the exact same problem. DVD sharing worked, but the install program didnt start when i double-clicked on it. I also spent some time trying to do the remote install before finding out its only for Macbook Airs.

My solution was to put the install dvd in the MBP, connect it to the MB with a firewire cable and restart the MBP in target disk mode. That was the only way I could get the MB to install from the MBP's dvd-drive so I suggest you try the same if you have a firewire cable lying around.