How the heck do you handle junk mail?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by glowrider, Apr 7, 2010.

1. glowrider macrumors regular

Title says it all. In mail app, how do you mark as spam? Easy enough on the desktop but I just don't see it here. Am i missing something? My email boxes are getting flooded m

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Can you turn on spam filtering with your mail provider? I get pretty much zero junk mail on all 4 accounts I use, they all do server filtering.

The Mail.app doesn't have this capability unfortunately.

3. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

iPhone OS's mail app is severely lacking.

I use multiple gmail accounts that forward to my mobileme account... luckily gmail filters out most junk mail before it ever gets to me.

The lack of server side rules on mobileme is annoying though, so every once in a while I use my desktop and highlight my mail to apply the rules I have setup.

Hopefully Apple changes this in the future.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple has had 3 years to give us a junk filter, but still nothing. Hopefully the 4.0 announcement will have one.

5. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yep, spam filtering would be a welcome addition. I have the same problem on my iPhone. It's an annoyance for me but I tolerate it :eek:

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yep, it really bothers me that the iPhone doesn't have a 'mark as junk' feature and that the Junk folder is not the yellow bag like in the OS X Mail app but rather is a regular folder buried down the list of folders alphabetically. I leave my iMac on with Mail running and so some junk mail automatically moves to the junk mail folder and I never have to look at it on my iPhone or the webapp, but I would like to see the functionality across the board, especially with the iPad being such a great mail platform. I really hate using the webapp at work and often use my iPhone to read mail because the MobileMe webapp is very iffy (not sure if it just sucks or if my work web connection/firewall is the issue, but it is constantly reloading itself).

Please 4.0 fix this.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Non-issue for me. I haven't used client-side spam filtering in years, as I haven't found any that's very effective, plus it's ridiculous to download spam and then filter it.

Get a mail service that has good server-side spam filtering.

(I use Rackspace Email, but I'm grandfathered at $1/month from a very old mailtrust.com account. Rackspace bought mailtrust. Mailtrust bought somebody else. I've had the account forever. So long, I forgot who "somebody else" was...)

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just thought I'd add.

Apple is getting into the mobile ad space so I doubt they'll develop a way to block ads.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That is so they can be the middle man between Lite/Free apps looking to generate income from ads and the advertisers looking to get on there. Apple has always been ahead of the game in their desktop Mail app in terms of Junk Mail filtering, being one of the first clients to offer a mail app that did not load html data in emails when you open them because that is how spam notifies the senders that the email address is real.

10. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Yeh they need the junk mail folder and also need the ability to forward messages as an attachment. Hopefully 4.0 brings lots of updates and fixes.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. glowrider thread starter macrumors regular

Absolutely ridiculous that there is no mark as junk feature. We're supposedly getting a top-level integrated mailbox...Maybe we'll get some more goodies.

(I use gmail to handle all my mailboxes for my server)

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well that's not old. You should totally ask if it blends.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How are your inboxes being flooded with junk mail? Gmail rarely lets junk mail through. For junk mail, I just delete them. It solves the problem.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Business that use gmail accounts are seldom taken seriously.

16. glowrider thread starter macrumors regular

Not that it matters, but you do know that Google Apps allow businesses/Universities/large corps to have Google handle their mail needs, right? ****, they almost took over Yale's email needs.

You can still have your name@company.com but Google handles the server side issues. You can run mail through however you want and also you get a familiar web interface - even has exchange support. Reduces overhead for lots of businesses - oh, you can also get it for free if you don't need enterprise level support.

And plenty of businesses are out there that use @gmail that make money.

17. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I've been debating doing this with my Yahoo account for some time. How does it work if you respond from a mail App or straight from the MobileMe website? I'm assuming it knows to respond to the original sender (and not to your Gmail account). Also, would the sender see the responding e-mail from your Gmail or MobileMe address?

18. greysave macrumors newbie

What a completely idiotic thing to say. Change my mail service for the phone? I think not.

----------

Why would I want to not use my own domain account and goto gmail?

19. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You are missing a point. You CAN use your domain email with gmail. My business email is setup that way. Gmail processes mail, sent to and from my domain, and I do not pay a cent.

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Server side email filtering is far best. Set it up on your host.

Or... Forward email to gmail and have it reply with domain credentials.

Transfer domain email hosting to google apps (what i did)

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Or filtering before the mail server. I use Boundary Defense for Email. After a few years of using MX Logic and Boundary Defense the filters don't even get much spam these days.

If you think effective spam filtering is idiotic... Don't change for the phone. Change for proper spam filtering. Client side filtering is much closer to idiotic. Why do you want to have to deal with filtering at each client?