How the HECK does one setup gmail on mail app 4.3 with IMAP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tivoboy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

so, I've read I think every thread here, and yet the setup of gmail on mail.app with IMAP and DELETING MESSAGES continues to be off. Even the gmail troubleshooting doesn't really spell things out too well.

I have things setup, but when I delete messages of course in the inbox on the mail.app, it puts them in the TRASH on the mail.app client. Then, if I delete THOSE MESSAGES well, they don't get deleted and they are BACK in the inbox.

There IS a second set of sub folders on the mail.app client, one that is listed as GMAIL/TRASH. But, mail never gets put THERE after deleting it.

What I CAN DO is delete mail in from the INBOX, THEN MOVE it from the TRASH folder on the mail.app client to the SUB FOLDER of the GMAIL/TRASH, and THEN delete it on the server, but WOW is that such a hassle.

Is there ANY SETTING someone that makes this work as one would expect?

2. munkery, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Try these settings. With this setup, only emails you have read will be stored locally on your machine and these emails will be deleted locally when deleted in the Mail.app GUI. Modifying the local storage setting (offline viewing) should not create the issue you are experiencing. Hopefully, this helps.

Attached Files:

3. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks,

Thanks, but

If i set it up this way, when I delete mails on the mail.app, they won't then be either deleted or moved to the trash on the gmail server? I have several devices, macs and iphones, and ipads, which would then have all the mails that I deleted show up?

4. munkery, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

That is the purpose of IMAP email access. IMAP keeps management of emails separate between the devices and the server that way you always have a backup of your emails stored on the server. Using POP to access your email will cause the behaviour you want.

It may be possible to use settings to get that behaviour from IMAP? I use the settings recommended by Google for using Gmail with Mail.app.

All your devices will be in sync if set up the same with IMAP. Each device will have the same emails show up in their inbox and when an email is deleted from one device it will be removed from the inboxes of all devices.

That second set of sub folders represents the state of your emails on the server. This gives you a means to access emails that you may have deleted in your inbox (local storage) from the server in the event that you require the email again. I believe you can delete items on the server by dragging emails from Gmail/All mail to Gmail/Trash for emails that do not require a backup.

5. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright

Okay, I think I have been sending the wrong message.

I would like a true IMAP implimentation, delete on ONE device, it is then clearly deleted from SERVER and then won't be available or show up on another device. True IMAP, at least as I have used for over a decade now is a central sync' solution, with all clients getting the same delivery/view.

The problem with the gmail implimentation of IMAP and say the mac client, seems to be that the TRASH that the mail.app sets up, does NOT actually remove the item or put it in the GMAIL/TRASH folder (or tag) but simply REMOVES the INBOX tag,

Does anyone know how to set mail settings on the SERVER (the gmail server) to allow clients to actually move DELETED items to the TRASH folder? This is clearly what is happening on the iphone and ipad implimentation, (there is an ARCHIVE option, but there is also a delete option)

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is exactly how, I'm trying to make mine work...aint gonna happen. I spent a half day yesterday, experimenting with settings, and it's gonna leave that copy in "All Mail" no matter what you do.

Funny thing is that I have it set up Imap on my iPhone 4 and I got it to work perfectly by changing the advanced settings to use the "trash" on the server instead of the phone. On the iPhone, when I delete a message from the inbox, it places it in trash, and removes it from the "all mail" folder, both on the phone and the server. When I empty the trash on the phone, the trash is also emptied on the server. I know some are gonna say that is just how "POP" works, but that is not the case. I'm not a user that saves every email that I ever received, and I dont want loads of deleted emails in the all mail folder, I have other folders that I use for emails that I want to keep, and yes they also show up in the all mail folder, but I don't want emails that I have deleted to be mixed with emails that I want to keep. The phone does it perfectly, the mail.app does not.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've set my google domain up with the following settings for deletion:

Move deleted mail to trash mailbox
    store deleted messages on the server

and it works absolutely fine and as I'd expect it to: when I delete a message it goes into the trash folder and disappears from the all mail folder. Then, when I empty the trash it disappears completely from the server and doesn't re-appear in the all mail folder

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I tried those exact settings yesterday, and, you are correct it does place the deleted mail in the trash, but on mine it stayed in the all mail folder.
    Are you running mail.app ver 4?

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Ok, I see what you are looking for. With the settings I provided, an email deleted on one device will not show up on other devices so that all devices have the same Inbox contents but the item will still be backed up to the server.

You want the server contents to match what is represented within the Mail.app. Did you try the selecting "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" and then choosing "Permanently erase deleted messages when: Quitting Mail" without selecting "Store deleted messages on the server?"

This is to give users the option to use the server to backup emails while keeping their devices in sync.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This is from the Google site. But this is clearly not what is happening in Mail.app 4.x, on my MBP. This does however make it work on the iPhone.

"Do NOT save deleted messages to your [Gmail]/Trash folder because this will delete a message in all folders."