How the iMac should have been designed (Portrait Orientation)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by erPierce, Sep 15, 2011.

1. erPierce, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

erPierce macrumors newbie

The 24" iMac is remarkably more usable when turned on its side and the screen rotated 90 degrees. As Apple brings improvements from the iPad to the iMac it is natural to want to want to use your monitor in portrait orientation. It is like using a 24" iPad with all the usability of a Mac.

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwardpierce/6151446529/

2. porky2017 macrumors member

porky2017

I don't know about doing that-no! hang on"your trippin"

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

...... Why?!? I have an Ultrasharp. I can't count the number of times with my hand that I'd rotated it into portrait orientation because that count doesn't require any fingers.

5. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

6. cperry2 macrumors regular

Actually, there's a point to be made here. What if the next major revision of the iMac borrowed the adjustable-neck concept from 2002:

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Technology/Apple/iMac2002_3.html

But did so in a way that allowed easy access between any orientation (portrait/ landscape, switching on the fly), as well as allowing you to bend the screen underneath you such that touch controls are feasible/ amenable? Such a display would literally look like a giant iPad. I would love this. Thoughts?

7. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I think it's likely to happen someday, but there's no guessing when. iOS was always good at rotating 90-degrees so I'm sure Lion can handle it.

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Maybe if all you do is browse the web, but for a lot of others who like to work in multimedia, where a lot of things are centered around widescreen aspect ratio, it's not so ideal. There's also the whole thing about putting two full-sized browser windows side-by-side on the 27 inch screen.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That neck would essentially represent a point of weakness. I cannot imagine a piece of rotatable metal supporting a 27' imac of that size/weight, and still stay in one piece after years of turning here and there.

Nor can I imagine a use for portrait. :confused:

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009