How the mighty have fallen...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nukztar, Sep 23, 2010.

1. nukztar macrumors member

I want to vent a little. I used to own numerous Nokia's and SE phones in the past. I currently own an X10 (work) and an Iphone 4 (personal)... I just found out that my once promising X10 which is still running on Android 1.6, will not be getting 2.1 (already dated) for another month. With no plans to ever upgrade to 2.2 (wifi hotspot, tethering etc).... WHAT THE HELL SE! what are you thinking.

Meanwhile they are already announcing a new device which is a combination of a PSP and phone running android 3.0... WHAT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE LOYALTY STUCK BY YOU BY BUYING YOUR FLAGSHIP X10 DEVICE!!

recently gruber posted an article about nokia's ways of working.. How its hardware first and software second. This pretty much sums up how Nokia and SE just lost the plot by a lack of innovation or ideas.

Nokia was busy releasing a million different phones in stupid form factors
    (http://joi.ito.com/images2/nokia7600.jpg) just so they could and completely missed a true opportunity to be truly innovative. SE also stuck with it and still do in releasing a million different devices (check out their product catalog) and then completely forgetting about them once released... Their attitude seems to be, ok the phone is out now, lets forget about it and move onto the next thing... no support, no continuous upgrades..its ridiculous!

The thing is.. I want these companies to do well!! Im a consumer who loves choice... WHAT A SAD WORLD IT WOULD BE IF THE ONLY DEVICE ANYONE EVER OWNED WAS AN IPHONE!..

i dont mean that as a slur to apple.. but that would be a sad day. I remember how much i relished the opportunity to have something unique compared to everyone else.. the need for that little bit of individuality that shows that we are against the grain. This is why i can never be an apple fan boy or an android fanboy.. it makes no sence! these companies dont pay me for my blind loyalty.. I WANT CHOICE!

- I have nothing against Android... I like it. just come up with a better plan to sort out fragmentation and please fix that awful market.
    - Windows mobile..come on,, give us something special too.
    - Apple.. i love the iphone 4.. but if you give me another 32g of space.. ide love you even more....
    - Nokia/Samsung/SE/LG and all other dinosaurs... sort your s**t out please.. change your ways of working.... dedicated all your RnD resources to create only 3 devices.. 1 low, 1 mid and 1 flagship device... and support the hell out of it with fantastic software support.

venting over..

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

This shouldn't had been a thread. It should've been..

DEAR DIARY,

3. nukztar thread starter macrumors member

Im sorry about the boring nature of my post. But to be fair, you are browsing a forum of user submitted comments about a product.. Of all the places you could visit on the internet to keep you entertained and cure your boredom, you're choosing the macrumors forum? :)

The irony here is that you took the time to read the post and instead of just clicking the back button and moving on to something more interesting, you actually took the time to post a reply telling the world of your boredom.

4. madKIR macrumors 6502

Just don't take it personally: he must be jealous of the way you can express your thoughts while he can't:p

I know how you feel. I also used to be a fan of SE products, but it's time to move on. Nokia and SE appear to have been unable to keep up with modern tendencies. Remember Siemens Mobile? I guess, that's what now is happening to SE and Nokia.

5. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Sounds like one of the reasons I was glad to leave BlackBerry and Verizon for Apple and AT&T. While I still believe Verizon has a better network I thought not only was the BlackBerry Storm a piece of crap it remained crippled because Verizon never cared to certify and push out the updates RIM provided for the device.

6. a10thunder macrumors newbie

I agree with OP. My last three phones with Nokias. I loved the E71 and thought the 5800 was okay. But the difference between Symbian OS and iOS is night and day. The Symbian touchscreen interface seems like a hello world first attempt at programming compared to the iOS.

Nokia is quite a sad sight. They offered video conferencing way before Apple's FaceTime. I also loved the fact that I could tether my Nokia phones so easily. But in the end, Nokia's software development effort was just too far behind iOS and Android.

7. Ever34 macrumors regular

Touché

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

PSP phones are rumors. So, you're getting riled up without knowing the truth yet.

9. aohus macrumors 68000

Sony is working with Google on something. Its a rumor, but its got a lot of clout. It makes sense to build one too, to compete against the iPhone.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How do you know it's not a googletv product? A tablet? The playstation division's android posting is well known, but there's no guarantee it will be a phone too. They could simply be using android for a follow up PSP.

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

No worries. Most of the time, MacRumors is interesting. ;)

12. aohus macrumors 68000

of course, it would use a highly modified Android OS to fit PSP's needs.

there's also rumor that Google is getting into social gaming. This has been verified by Engadget/TechCrunch.

Sony/Nintendo execs are feeling the heat from iPhone and its large gaming applications. It only makes sense for both Google/Sony to do it.

Additionally, Sony/Google have already collaborated with their X10 phone. It all makes sense to me.. but of course, its just 'rumor.'

13. nukztar thread starter macrumors member

I see your point. Im not claiming that some psp/sony/android collaboration is definite, but what im annoyed about is that SE moves from one high end device to another without any real software roadmap.

If X10 is their flagship device right now, they need to provide far better software support in keeping their customers loyal. I dont mind new products coming out, but once they come out, dont completely ignore the customers who bought your previous flagship device a few months earlier... Keep us happy.

A short visit to sony ericsson's product blog gives you an idea of how unhappy their x10 customers are right now.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

OP, I know what you mean.

Nokia is pretty great at adding many features. Heck, even FM radio is added to their cheapest prepaid phones. But when it comes to software, Symbian simply does not compare to iOS. It just feels so ancient. The Nokia N8 has failed to really excite. The build quality and camera is nice, but I feel the OS is the same as their N97. Nokia should just stick to low end phones for developing countries. That's how they have garnered most of their market share. Selling phones in places like Africa. After the N95, they simply can't keep up to date with the high-end phones. It is the same old, same old. The Nokia N9 is rumored to have a Snapdragon chip at 1Ghz, but by the time it is released in late 2010/early 2011, dual-core 1.3Ghz chips should be out for the latest phones. Meego is still in Year 1 too, so it won't be as polished right away. I really do wish them well because they do make some durable cheap phones with excellent reception.

Check the link below about many diehard Nokia fans switching to Android -

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1669751-Another-one-moving-on-to-Android

As for Sony Ericsson, they have consistently disappointed me year after year since 2007. W810 and K790/800 were terrfic phones. Since then, the W960 was ok. The K910 was not as good as the Nokia N82. I had high hopes for the XPERIA X1 and X10 when they were first announced, and each one has disappointed. There hasn't been an XPERIA phone that has really wowed me yet. That's why I don't have high hopes for a PSP phone even though this concept has intrigued me the most even if the rumor itself is longer than a Verizon iPhone. SONY is in a mess themselves.

Here is a link about a BIG SURPRISE from SE in the coming months -

http://phandroid.com/2010/09/23/son...ence-expect-big-surprises-in-next-few-months/

^^ Could be the PSP phone. But knowing SE, they can delay it like crazy and we end up waiting more than a year for it.