How they can repair Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marko Zorec, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Marko Zorec macrumors newbie

On my 3 months old Macbook Pro early 2015 the keyboard and trackpad suddenly bacame unresponsive. As I have warranty, i send it to the official repair centre here in Slovenia, EU. I phoned them and the repair guy told me that they will probably change some components with the new ones, motherboard in the first place.

Here is my question: how can they repair my macbook, if the analysis on ifixit.com said it is unrepairable, give it the score 1/10?

I have bad feeling about this thing, i don' t know why... Will it be really like new one after the service?

Guys on the service on the other hand seems fast and reliable, they say it will be ready in a day or two...

I must also say that even that is really annoying mistake from apple device, I don't regret buying it for a moment...it is my first apple device and if I compare those three months on apple with my "old days" windows experiences....just amazing how good that macbook laptop is.

Thank for replies.....

Marko

2. robertparker macrumors newbie

Most of the parts are either glue in place, soldered in place, or proprietary, hence the low score.

I regret it everyday. My 2011 MBP is a lemon.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple built the computer. Why do you think they're not able to repair it? Most likely they'll swap out the entire top case including the keyboard, trackpad and battery.

In the US, Apple authorized service providers have to send the technicians to training before there able to perform repairs.

My point is, Apple provides the parts and training and processes for doing these repairs. I don't see any reason why you should worry about it.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The ifixit repairability score is how easy it is for the CUSTOMER to repair the product. As noted by other, Apple certified repair centers and technicians can repair any part of the system as needed since they have all the tools and training to do so.

As for the keyboard and trackpad issues, BECAUSE the battery is glued in, the repair center will replace the entire top case,. You end up with a new KB, trackpad, battery and the aluminum housing making up what is called the palmrest by other manufacturers. If they also need to replace the logic board, the only original parts you'll have left will be the SSD, LCD and the bottom cover (removed to access the "guts").

5. leman macrumors 604

Apple technicians have the tools, the knowledge and the necessary components to repair your computer. Don't misunderstand iFixit scores. iFixit is first and foremost a business that makes money off broken hardware. It is not surprising that they dislike products for which they can't sell components. Low repairability scores do not necessarily mean that a device can't be repaired or that it is environmentally unfriendly (Apple is actually doing quite well on the recycling and efficiency side of things). However, it does usually mean that the end cost for you as the customer is rising, because you can't longer do things yourself or bring it to a cheap corner shop. In that regards, modern laptops are becoming more and more like modern cars — they start using a lot of components and designs that are only serviceable with special equipment. Whether its a good or a bad development, you need to for decide yourself. Personally, I think that the benefits are worth the cost.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

As other have said, maybe YOU should understand the situation before assuming something.

7. Marko Zorec thread starter macrumors newbie

Many many thanx for the answers...

I see how ifixit reviews works now...

I've got a phone call from the repair center minute ago and they said, they must replaced the Keyboard, trackpad, topcase and battery. Malfunction was found on controller on the topcase. It is rare to see malfunction like this as they said.

I hope now my macbook will work like new again...

I must say I am happy now that I have made the additional warranty for 3 years when I buyed machine.... you never know...

Thanks again

Marko

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

@Marko Zorec They're replacing all those parts because they come as an entire unit with the top case. I actually have a MBA sitting nearby that I need to order just that part for...