Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
So I’m new to this Apple Watch thing. I find myself going back and forth between two holes on my Nike band. The one hole it doesn’t slide on my wrist at all(when trying to slide it with other hand) but occasionally makes my arm itchy prompting me to loosen it. On the other hole it will slide a little(with other hand moving it) and barely moves if moving my arm around not trying to slide it with other hand but does move when pressing the side buttons. So basically, how loose is too loose for the heart rate stuff to not work correctly?

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
I wear it tight enough that it doesn't move at all up and down my wrist, and stays fixed and tight. But it isn't uncomfortably tight and I can still freely and easily flex my wrist up and down.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I wear a Apple nylon band. It is easier to get a much more precise and comfortable fit. I can get a finger inside the band while wearing it. It never slides down.

I think this is the general rule with watch bands...you should be able to get a finger between the underneath of the band and your wrist.

Last edited:

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
I wear it tight enough that it doesn't move at all up and down my wrist, and stays fixed and tight. But it isn't uncomfortably tight and I can still freely and easily flex my wrist up and down.

You‘ve just described the way I wear my Apple Watch as well!

Reactions: F23

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
So basically, how loose is too loose for the heart rate stuff to not work correctly?
It just has to be tight enough so that the sensor stays on your wrist. I wear mine pretty loose, except when I run (I'll tighten it up one hole). Never really had a problem with the HR sensor.

Reactions: millerj123

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I wear it more tight up towards the hand/wrist and it doesn't move during the day as it stays in place and I've heard this is the most accurate reading area for health/heart rate.
I alternate between a milanese and sport loop which provide more specific location.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Mine fits most comfortable on the tighter setting I described above but occasionally it feels too tight/sweaty/itchy..thanks for the responses..

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Loops(Milanese or sport) - against my skin
Sport bands - against my skin
Leather bands - against my skin
Links - slightly loose

dgreening

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I noticed if the band is too loose it locks the screen then I don't get any notifications. But I do the same as above keeping it snug enough but not uncomfortable.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have a nylon band as well for daily wear. I wear it tight enough to where it does not slide up/down on my wrist but also loose enough to where I don't feel it. During workout, I wear it higher up on my forearm and a bit tighter than normal.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
I tighten it until it’s comfortable. Any less, it’ll be too loose. Any more it’ll be too tight. :p

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
It just has to be tight enough so that the sensor stays on your wrist. I wear mine pretty loose, except when I run (I'll tighten it up one hole). Never really had a problem with the HR sensor.
This is how I do it. With the loose setting I have more problems with the heart rate sensor, but I still have occasional problems even with the tighter setting. If that happens, I can usually tell that it’s slid a little off the side of my arm.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I don't wear mine tight. But just enough for my index finger to pass through between my wrist and the band is good enough.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Not all that tight. When I remove my watch, you can barely see the indentations from the band on my skin, if that helps at all.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
@OP The Sports band makes my wrist sweat and itch so I have to move it around my wrist. Not a big problem its just what that type of material does to your skin.

The Sports Loop is a little bit more breathable and lightweight. Less sweat.

Buy a Sports loop and alternate between the Band.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
At $10-$15 for an off brand sports loop you can buy a new one every year you will likely own the watch (5 years). After a few months with sports loop, then a year with the nylon strap, and now with velcro sports loop - I’ve found the sports loop to be the most comfortable and adjustable (snug but still put a finger under it). This is especially true as my son and I have small hands that fit through the loop easily. He has the Nike and I have a $12 off brand. I like my off brand as much as his Nike, go figure.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Going from the Series 3 to the Series 4 adjusted which holes on the sport bands I use. On the Series 3 I would use the 3rd smallest hole on the M/L band and when I would run I would tighten it to the 2nd smallest hole. Now I find that the 2nd smallest hole on the M/L band is the perfect medium and I never have to adjust it.

I like the watch to be fairly snug. I hate when it feels like its moving around and/or dangling on my wrist.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
So I’m new to this Apple Watch thing. I find myself going back and forth between two holes on my Nike band. The one hole it doesn’t slide on my wrist at all(when trying to slide it with other hand) but occasionally makes my arm itchy prompting me to loosen it. On the other hole it will slide a little(with other hand moving it) and barely moves if moving my arm around not trying to slide it with other hand but does move when pressing the side buttons. So basically, how loose is too loose for the heart rate stuff to not work correctly?
Not too much. I wear my sport watch for running and I need to feel free with it.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I think a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to fit your index finger between the band and the underside of your wrist. That should give you a comfortable fit without being too tight. You could always wear it a little tighter during workouts in order to make sure the heart rate sensor gets a reliable reading.

Reactions: SDColorado

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I keep mine pretty loose a lot of the time, but tighten it a notch on my leather band when I want it to keep track of my heart rate. I’m between holes on my leather band, so I find it a little tight on the next hole, but too loose to get all the benefits on the comfortable hole. I’m working on stretching it a little by wearing it on the tighter hole for at least a couple hours every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.