How tight/loose should the tension be on a MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GanChan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

My new 13" MBA seems to maintain the selected display angle pretty well during normal use. But I notice that if I pick it up and set it down again, even very gently, the display droops away from me slightly and I have to adjust it again. Can I assume that's normal for this model?

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I had that issue on the first 2013 13" MBA that I'd purchased, which was returned for another with a "tighter" hinge. In my eyes it wasn't normal, as the case would open beyond where I had stopped it as the machine got warmer.

For the $$ shelled out for the system, I wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible.

$0.02 worth.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

This is normal.

The display should stay in the same place when using the laptop on a desk or on your lap.

Otherwise, it should be pretty loose. It has to be, since one of the advertised features of the MBA is that you can open it from a closed position with one finger.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have had one with the hinge too tight and having to "pry" it open each time is a pain. It should be loose enough where the screen opens at the front without having to hold down the base. This can and will vary.

5. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. If at some point I determine that the display definitely is too loose, is there a fix for that?

6. motrek macrumors 68020

I'm not sure and I haven't done this myself, but I think you can just take the bottom panel off and there are two screws on the hinge that you can tighten or loosen as you see fit. You might try doing this before the laptop gets out of warranty in case I'm wrong.