How to a Mac as Time Machine Backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gmpirate, Jun 30, 2012.

1. gmpirate macrumors newbie

I've been Googling this and fiddling with my computers and not finding anything helpful or current.

I'm using a G5 to serve my iTunes content and provide backup to all my computers with internal disks. It is loaded with Leopard. All my macs are on Lion. Everything is connected through gigabyte ethernet using an airport extreme.

How do I get my Lion machines to see the shared disk on my G5 using Time Machine? Even with the shared disk mounted, Time Machine does not see it.

I may move to Chronosync at some point, seeing the great reviews, but for now I just want to use a simple and free solution to get going.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

3. gmpirate thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen many posts and articles all over the internet using G5's as media/backup servers with the internal drives. However, none of these posts/articles go into setting up Time Machine to do so. I've found some dated articles detailing how but the software has since been updated with different text and windows so they do not make sense.

Maybe Time Machine can't do internal drives bot 3rd party software like Chronosync can???

Idk, just seems a simple thing but maybe not :p