How to access file from a Window 7 machine

kyle.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Without using usb flash disk or some sort?

I need to work on some files on my macbook but I always need to use an USB harddrive to transfer documents to my workplace PC. Can I just say plug in some USB cable to connect them then access file on my personal MAC?

Thanks a lot.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Without using usb flash disk or some sort?

I need to work on some files on my macbook but I always need to use an USB harddrive to transfer documents to my workplace PC. Can I just say plug in some USB cable to connect them then access file on my personal MAC?

Thanks a lot.
if you have both of them connected to the internet u can use cloud based store...
dropbox, skydrive, googledrive...etc etc etc .
they will automatically sync files between computers.
i use dropbox for example and it works flawlessly!

kyle.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
is there any other way?

There is no internet connection in my workplace PC.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
I would confer with the IT department to see how they suggest you offload work to your Mac.

For what it's worth, if the stuff you do is sensitive enough that there's no internet connection on your work PC (unless there's some other limitation), the idea of moving work to an uncontrolled computer may not be looked upon nicely.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Isn't there a network? Windows should be able to find your mac in a network. If not, google it. There are some settings that should make your mac easier to find for a windows computer.

I would also use a cable instead of wireless. If the network is a Gigabit network it would be really fast (and much much faster than wifi).

But if you have no internet connection AND no network you could try to plug an ethernet cable directly intro your working computer and macbook and set up a network between the two computers.

I did this once with two Macbook Pro's. Not sure whether windows will cooperate using this technique.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
On a Windows 7 machine DO NOT use the Home sharing when trying to share with an older windows machine or another operating system. Instead use the 'Advanced' sharing function in Windows 7 to use SMB that will share to other non-windows 7 machines.

Also in OS X go to System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced button and in the 'WINS' mini-tab put in the Windows workgroup settings in Windows.