How to access iTunes TV shows moved to Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbachandouris, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jbachandouris, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I moved my tv shows folder to my Time Capsule to free up space on my MBP. I can run the files from the Mac, but the iPhone wants to download from the cloud. How do I set this up?

I've googled everywhere and that's how I got this far. Once I figure this out, I plan to move the movies over too and buy Apple TV.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

So it's not a case of reinstating the stored data on the TC, rather exporting the Ituns library?

If so:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you want to access them more quickly..( I really wouldn't use a TC as a streamer) then maybe consider an external USB HDD for the job. I have a Seagate 4TB external which contains all my media, and a Pegasus R4 which holds the same info...Using an App called Air Video Server, I can stream from any deceive to any ATV.

3. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'd rather not buy another device. I only have one Mac being backed up to a 3 TB Time Capsule. All that capacity is currently wasted. So yes, I want to use TC as a streamer.

And btw, I've already used the link posted. It only shows how to set it up, it doesn't show how an iPhone can access it...unless I'm missing something.

4. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Really? over 1200 view and no responses? If I could find the answer on my own, I wouldn't need to post.

How does an iPhone/iPad/iPod 'see' content on a Time Capsule?

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

iOS devices can see and play content shared by iTunes. If iTunes on your Macbook knows about the content on your Time Capsule, it can share it to your iOS devices.

See:

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht4557

A.

6. jbachandouris, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The Mac will not stay at home. I want ios devices to see the TC without the Mac present.

The link says click music or videos and then more. Not on ios 7.

Still not able to access info on Time Capsule. I have researched for days and still have no clue how to access them. The icon on the iPhone is the cloud icon (to download).

7. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Still haven't solved this. If no one here knows the answer, where else can I look? Google has not helped at all. Neither has searching this site. Please advise.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

TC is storage, you need a Mac or PC running iTunes to play it back on an AppleTV. Your iOS device would need to have the media copied to its local storage. That's just the way it currently is.

Some NAS drives offer DLNA or app based playback on iOS devices including ATV. Synology offers packages / apps that can do this.

9. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Well that sucks. I haven't bought ATV yet anyway.

So no Mac=no streaming from ATV? I swear I heard it was now possible.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It works if the TV shows were bought from iTunes. Otherwise you need a computer to share it. You don't have old computer lying around?

11. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

TV shows are all official iTunes downloads.

No old PC's laying around and no desktops.

If I decide to do this, my wife's PC laptop is always at home, so that may be an option.

Its just that the TC has 3TB and I'm only backing up one MBP. That seems like a lot of wasted space.

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If they are from iTunes then you should be able to access them easily on your iDevices, including Apple TV. Go to iTunes/Purchased tab/TV Show.

What you're asking is what everyone's asking from Apple for so long. Namely iTunes server which is, in effect, a Time Capsule with Home Sharing ability built-in. Sadly, Apple don't make one yet.

13. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

How does that work for an iPod touch not attached to my iTunes account?

14. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

It'll have to be attached to the same account if you want to stream via the internet.

Not sure what the rules are if you have the files on a computer in iTunes for a computer not attached to the iTunes account.

(Where'd the iPod Touch come into the equation?)

Gary