How to access library on external hardrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bigyouth, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Bigyouth macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've recently had to replace my mac but I have the old hardrive. I would like to be able to access the library on the old hardrive but it seems like I'm unable to get to it. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
    Bigyouth

----------

(The old hardrive has been plugged into a SATA enclosure )

2. box185 macrumors member

box185

It may be obvious to some others, but I am going to ask anyway - which library?

3. Bigyouth thread starter macrumors newbie

erm. Honestly I have no idea what the differences are.. but its the one that has application support in it and always tends to be hidden for some reason..

I have tried the chflags nohidden command but it can't seem to find the directory.

Attached Files:

4. Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502

I use EasyFind. It's free and it finds anything & everything on any drive. Excellent program. :cool:

5. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

If you want to use the external drive as your home user account, you can, just go into System control panel for Account and advanced options (don't have "modern" OS X so don't know what they call it for User account) and direct the system to use the external.

Copy it.
    Go To Folder and give it the path
    Use Migration Assistant - very very carefully and only after you have a backup (clone) of your system
    Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the system and/or to copy

I would keep your boot drive as small and fast SSD SATA II/III or something and then only keep that
    /Users/my_home_account/Library on the boot drive

All your media libraries, movies, video, graphics - on separate non boot drive.

Why not just put the drive on drive sled inside your Mac? even if temporary, while you access and merge or move files perhaps.

6. Bigyouth thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou for the suggestions.

I tried easyfind and it worked perfectly. Thankyou very much!