How To Access Mac W/ Touch From FAR AWAY?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Oct 25, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I live 20 miles away from my University campus and I'm wondering what would be the best way to access my Macbook using my iPod Touch when I'm on campus, in case say I forgot to obtain a essay that is due that day?

As of now I'm using Mocha VNC Lite but I've only used it when I'm home, when both my Macbook and touch are under the same network. This works fine, since on the Touch I can see my Macbook and can see any file I want and even If I wanted to, could email it to myself and therefore be able to get it on my Touch or Email...Easily being able to print any essay or doc using the printers at my school. I'm not sure if VNC Lite would work when My Touch is on campus under a different network and my Mac at home under a different one both with different IP addresses. Again, iono.

Other than that i'm not sure how I can reach a file and send it to myself, or w/e, just obtain it since I forgot it on my home Macbook.

I'm a little befuddled on the matter and any help is really, seriously appreciated.

(Thumbs Up!)

2. bowdowntozoltan macrumors newbie

I don't use VNC as much as I used to, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm not sure if you live on campus but for it to work right port 5900 (default) would have to be forwarded. You'd need to know your IP for your laptop, then make a password. Get wifi at school when you need an essay and type in the ip and password and it should pop right up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

You question inspired me to test this out, and it actually works pretty well:

Rather than messing with VNC, why not just install Foldershare (or something similar) and use it to view the contents of your hard drive. I tried it and was able to look through folders just fine on my macbook, and open up a pdf and view it, just using Safari on my iPod Touch.

4. claylj macrumors newbie

This is what VNC is designed for!:D

You need to set up your router to allow port 1723 for the IP address of your Mac at home. When you are at the campus you must connect to your home network using the IP address of your router.

I am using a Linksys router and set up the port under "Applications and Gaming" tab. I get the router address by going to the "Status" tab.

Once you are logged in to your home network you need to access your Mac using Jaadu or the like on your Touch.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I have the exact same question as the OP; I also use VNC Lite to access my computers with my Touch at home, when they're all on the same network, and would love to be able to have the same access remotely. Problem is I don't completely understand the above answer. Would someone be willing to write it out cookbook style, or maybe just fill in the gaps a little for those of us that don't have quite as much experience with this stuff yet? Thanks!