how to access my windows laptop's hd through wireless network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by volcom883, Apr 12, 2009.

1. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

hi,
    i do not want the windows laptop to gain access to my mac but i wanna access and transfer files from the windows laptop to my mac.
    im basically using my xp laptop as a downloading device.

is it something easy to set up?

what will the speed be like?

by the way i also have a firewire cable. i did connect the firewire cable to my xp laptop but the mac cant see it. something on xp came up saying it should install a software but couldnt find it when looking up on the net..
    i would prefer wireless connection but if firewire is easier and much faster then yeah firewire is ok.
    or, do i need an ethernet cable to connect them?

thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

hi thanks for your reply however i'd prefer the wifi connection. plus on the guide it says:
    Make a new network location in System Prefs (Network Port Configurations -> New, FireWire). I called mine "Direct Connection (FireWire)."
    on leopard i dont see those options

anybody knows how i can access my windows hd through macs wifi?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

Normally you have to share the Windows folder(s) you want to access, and have both computers on the same wifi network.
    Then in Finder > Go > Connect to server (Cmd + K) > smb://192.168.xxx.xxx, where the 192.168.xxx.xxx stands for the Windows PC's IP.
    To find out the Windows IP, if you have set it to dynamic, just press Windows key + R > type in "cmd", without the " ", then type "ipconfig /all".

Or ....