How to access network drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cclloyd, Feb 18, 2013.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I just got a mac, and on my windows I was able to access my network stuff by going to

\\192.168.1.1\shares

How do I go to that on my mac?

2. entrywounds, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

entrywounds macrumors newbie

In finder select "Go" then "Connect To Server" type the network address for you shares and connect.

3. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

How can I map those folders inside for quick access later? After I connect there are 4 network folders that I want to be able to just click access from finder.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not at my Mac right now but I think you can drag the shares to the sidebar.

5. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

It doesn't doesn't let me. It says I can't drag them anywhere in the sidebar..

6. Freyqq macrumors 601

Go>Connect to Server
    smb:\\192.168.1.1\shares

smb is samba, which is the protocol macs use to talk to windows pcs

7. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Ok, I got it to mount the overall server, but am unable to mount individule shares inside it for quick access.

Also one of the shares I want to use as a time machine backup, but am unable to.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, I can drag them into there (OS 10.8) ... but they disappear when I dismount. Great :rolleyes:

9. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Does it have something to do with the fact that when mounted, it shows the drive icon with people holding hands and not the globe with the lines?

10. Jag Jaeger macrumors newbie

Jag Jaeger

one of the way is specified by entrywounds and another way you can access is using Apple's command +k specifying folder path and if you are been prompted for username and password.

11. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

A few pointers:

You can right click one of the connected shares on your desktop and select "Make Alias" which will create a shortcut on your desktop.

In order to display shares in the sidebar you need to have the option selected in Finder Preferences. You should see the server and selecting it will reveal all available shares.

If you want to use time machine the drive must be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" which is unlikely in your case.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

12. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

None of the shares ever showed up on my desktop when I mounted them, and I always got an error when trying to make an alais.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That's because Apple hides them by default. Smart huh? Go to Finder prefs and have them shown on desktop. You can drag servers to right side of dock also. OS X paths are forward slash ( / ) NOT ( \ ). Backslash calls out your previous allegiance:p