How to Access Same Website Locally and Non-locally?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fastpurplemedia, May 29, 2013.

1. fastpurplemedia macrumors newbie

Hello..
    I'm working on a website locally using Xampp and I need to access the non-local site at the same time. The non-local site has a dedicated IP. Is there any way to open the non-local site (so I can copy and paste) while still viewing the local site? I thought about accessing it with the IP but it resolves to the domain name. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Do you mean you want to access the SOURCE CODE of the "non-local" site? Can you be more specific as to what you want to "copy and paste"?

The IP address resolving that way is not surprising - and without knowing anything about the non-local site topology (network and hardware) you'll need to better explain your objective. The only thing I can think of is you're trying to access the docroot (code) which would required either FTP or SSH access to it from the Internet and the appropriate client on your computer to do so. If so, consult the webhost support to get info on either if its your site or ask the owner to do so if not.

Otherwise if you need to simply copy public visible content on the web site itself, just open a browser window with the URL of the site and copy text or right click "save as" for images, or download inspection and web developer tools for your browser (i.e Firebug, or use Chrome with Web Developer extension) which can get all kinds of useful info about a site to isolate CSS, images, HTML, Javascript and so on for copy/paste on a simple non-dynamic site.

One word of caution:

If the "non-local" site is a PRODUCTION instance, meaning a live web site, it is unwise to change code on it directly without doing so on your local first and then using a repo to commit/push changes that way or FTP or scp via ssh. Your local should be used for development and testing, only move tested/stable code over to the non-local prod instance. Same can be said for content, too.

Hope this helps, if not then please address my questions above and we'll be able to help you better. Cheers.

:cool:

3. fastpurplemedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Access Same Website

Hello Sr web developer, Your information is nice. I will try all steps told by you then i will tell you if it is helpful for me or not.
    Thanks

4. 960design macrumors 68020

I use Coda and MAMP for development.

MAMP creates a local server that I can access from my computer as well as from iPads, KindleFires, Zooms, iPhones and even a Windows computer we have to see how the site looks on different devices and with different browsers.

Coda then can push to a development server that hosts the site live; usually something like http://theirsitename.mycompanyname.com. I give them a password to access their site while it's in development so they can comment and help keep me steered in the right direction.

When it's ready I move the entire site to a staging server and make sure the move didn't break anything, which it always seems to do. When I'm satisfied with the stage and have bounced the site a few times to make sure I've worked out all the kinks I then get together with the clients and show them the staged site with their production site ready to go with the a single click, literally. If they are satisfied and I get paid at the meeting, I push the button and make their site live right in front of their eyes. I live for the dramatic flare. <sarcasm>Someday I may even incorporate music.</sarcasm> For the one guy that takes me seriously.