Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I need to access an SSD from a late 2013 15 inch Macbook Pro.
The only thing I've found is an enclosure by OWC Envoy Pro, but it's really hard to get in Europe and super expensive.

Are there any cheaper options that someone could point me to?

thanks!

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
What makes this tricky is that I believe these SSD's are AHCI interface, not NVMe. Also they aren't M-key so they won't even fit into the usual NVMe m.2 slot. There are outboard USB enclosures for NVMe m.2 drives but AHCI enclosures are rare and expensive, as you've found out. (There are other brands but they are priced about the same.)

If you have a computer that can read the HFS filesystem (either a Mac or a linux PC), and has an available PCIe slot, you might be able to make it work if you can get hold of an m.2 to PCIe adapter card that has the Apple keying. (I think this might, maybe, be G keying, but I'm not sure. It's definitely NOT the typical M or B keying.) m.2 to PCIe cards are basically just pin translators without any real active circuitry, so you might be able to find one for $20 or less.

Or, find someone with a 15" late 2013 who is willing to let you plug your SSD into their machine for a while. I'd offer mine except it's my work machine and I can't be without it. :)

TBH your best bet is to shell out for the OWC enclosure.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
What makes this tricky is that I believe these SSD's are AHCI interface, not NVMe. Also they aren't M-key so they won't even fit into the usual NVMe m.2 slot. There are outboard USB enclosures for NVMe m.2 drives but AHCI enclosures are rare and expensive, as you've found out. (There are other brands but they are priced about the same.)

If you have a computer that can read the HFS filesystem (either a Mac or a linux PC), and has an available PCIe slot, you might be able to make it work if you can get hold of an m.2 to PCIe adapter card that has the Apple keying. (I think this might, maybe, be G keying, but I'm not sure. It's definitely NOT the typical M or B keying.) m.2 to PCIe cards are basically just pin translators without any real active circuitry, so you might be able to find one for $20 or less.

Or, find someone with a 15" late 2013 who is willing to let you plug your SSD into their machine for a while. I'd offer mine except it's my work machine and I can't be without it. :)

Given the wide range of models that accept the SSD (2013-17 Air, late 13 to 2015 Pro, some iMacs, Mac Pro 2013 I believe, and Mac mini 2014 with SSD), installing it in another Mac was my solution for years.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
It depends. If it has a hard drive it’ll be 2.5” SATA, in which case a 2.5” SSD would work fine, but not from the Mac in question here. SSD upgrades on hard drive Macs, at least MacBooks, are straightforward.

Reactions: Amethyst1

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Does that mean that you can just unplug a old HD from a MBP and plug in a SSD?
That's a different question and it depends on what MBP you're talking about. As Mr Brightside said, if you're dealing with an MBP that actually has a hard drive, it's going to be a SATA drive and you can replace it with a SATA SSD. That's not relevant to the OP's issue, though.

The late 2013's had m.2 form factor PCIe/AHCI SSD's, using an unusual keying. No hard drive.

docbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011

Thanks! I am no confused which OWC Envy Pro Enclosure to get, there are some on Amazon that say they only support SSDs up to early 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch models - mine is a late 2013 model. aklsdfj

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am no confused which OWC Envy Pro Enclosure to get, there are some on Amazon that say they only support SSDs up to early 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch models - mine is a late 2013 model."

Better be careful BEFORE YOU BUY.
Make sure the enclosure will work.
I suggest you email OWC directly to find out.

Is the old MBP completely non-bootable?
Would "target disk mode" work on it?

If the laptop is 100% "dead", and you can't find an enclosure, it's possible that a specialty shop that repairs old Macs might be able to get the data off the drive. For $$$, of course.

Final thought -
If the only way forward is going to cost you more money than you're comfortable spending, ask yourself:
"Do I really need anything that's on that drive...?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.