How to access TextEdit's icloud files from iOS

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by kramerica2, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kramerica2 macrumors regular

I love the idea of documents in the cloud, but something is missing IMO. I thought that if I save a rtf via TextEdit in iCloud, any app on iOS that handles rtf and has access to iCloud would see the file. Apparently this isn't the case and I haven't found any way to access those files from iOS. What am I missing here?

Thanks..

2. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

You are not missing anything. Same for PDFs and Preview. iCloud is extremely limited. Use Dropbox or Google Drive for files instead

3. wolfpackfan, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Actually you can use iCloud to sync the files with your IOS device using either the GoodReader or iFiles apps. You won't be able to edit them but you can read them. I have posted instructions over in the iCloud message board but here is the quick and dirty, using GoodReader (iFiles is similar) -

Install GoodReader on your iPad or iPhone. Go into the GoodReader Settings and enable iCloud use.

On your Mac, go to the ~/Library/Mobile Documents folder (this is a hidden folder, press the Option key as you click on Go) and look for a folder that has GoodReader in the name.

In that folder, make an alias for the Documents folder and move it to either your Dock, Desktop, Side Bar or anywhere for that matter. Then move your text files or other files to the folder. I use it for PDF's myself.

The files will then sync to the GoodReader app and you can view them there. Since GoodReader isn't an editor, you can't change them of course; but you can view them.

Works great for me.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would also recommend DropBox. iCloud isn't as transparent or easy to share/view files across platforms. With DropBox, you can access all your files via an app on your iPhone, a folder on your Mac/PC, or through any web browser. Also, they can be organized your way and not Apple's app-based way.

5. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I'd speculate TextEdit and Preview have iOS versions either in the fall or for iOS 7.

6. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

So as stands, what is the point of saving a textedit file to the cloud?

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

If you have multiple Macs you have access on both - you also no have a backup so all your files are available when you upgrade your Mac.

8. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

I use cloud mate on Mac and IOS to do this: http://www.rwe-uk.com/app/cloud-mate