How to access time machine backup from another computer?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
I have two computers backing up to Time Machine on a Time Capsule. I don't know how to access a backup from the other computer in case I ever need it. If I hit option and go up to the Time Machine icon, it shows "Browse Other Backup Disks" but I don't see it there.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
You can't access another computer's Time Machine backup. It's specific to that computer, especially using Time Capsule as it does it using a Sparse Image.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
You can't access another computer's Time Machine backup. It's specific to that computer, especially using Time Capsule as it does it using a Sparse Image.
So what if you're backed up with one computer and you lose the computer? There must be a way to retrieve the data, no?

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
You can restore to a computer from a Time Machine backup. If you lost your computer and bought another you could transfer everything back to the way it was with your old machine.

orangechicken

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I have two computers backing up to Time Machine on a Time Capsule. I don't know how to access a backup from the other computer in case I ever need it. If I hit option and go up to the Time Machine icon, it shows "Browse Other Backup Disks" but I don't see it there.
There's a piece of software called Back in Time that can do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.