Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
I have a problem now guys, I bought 2 new 250 GB of HDD and made them to a RAID 0 and then installed OSX on it. And I use another HDD(stock from apple) to install bootcamp and windows xp. But I can't see the RAID drive of OSX from wondows xp by using Mac Drive. Any solution?:eek:

kzg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
Canada
Sorry buddy, but i'm in the exact same situation and theres no solution. :( Windows just plain doesn't have the drivers to read Apple Software Raid drives. Apparently there is work in the linux world to get it working but thats about the extent of it.

This is why Apple should enable the hardware raid that is embedded in the MacPro chipset!

Also, BEWARE OF OS AND FIRMWARE UPDATES!!! Apple does not support booting from software raid AT ALL, even though it allows you too. When I updated from 10.4.7 on my MP it caused a kernel panic during boot up. I and others found the only way was to install the update onto the disk while booted from another drive. Same goes for firmware updates, it must be run from another non software raid drive or an external firewire or usb drive.

Anywho, the speed boost is still pretty nice and besides apple not supporting the hardware raid in the MP, I'm still a happy camper. :)

macincar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Sorry buddy, but i'm in the exact same situation and theres no solution. :( Windows just plain doesn't have the drivers to read Apple Software Raid drives. Apparently there is work in the linux world to get it working but thats about the extent of it.

This is why Apple should enable the hardware raid that is embedded in the MacPro chipset!

Also, BEWARE OF OS AND FIRMWARE UPDATES!!! Apple does not support booting from software raid AT ALL, even though it allows you too. When I updated from 10.4.7 on my MP it caused a kernel panic during boot up. I and others found the only way was to install the update onto the disk while booted from another drive. Same goes for firmware updates, it must be run from another non software raid drive or an external firewire or usb drive.

Anywho, the speed boost is still pretty nice and besides apple not supporting the hardware raid in the MP, I'm still a happy camper. :)

Thanks for your reply. I thought I could be using the RAID volume to be a universal volume for storing files and medias. Although I need a hardware RAID? And by the way, I didn't get a kernal panic while update from 4.7 to 4.8, am I lucky?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I wonder if it would work to setup a partition within the RAID set and format it FAT32? Else, how about Macdrive?

kzg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
Canada
I wonder if it would work to setup a partition within the RAID set and format it FAT32? Else, how about Macdrive?

Its not the fact that windows can't read HFS (macdrive does cover that). It is because when you create a software raid, all the partitions are located inside a wrapper, which windows cannot read into.

kzg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
Canada
Thanks for your reply. I thought I could be using the RAID volume to be a universal volume for storing files and medias. Although I need a hardware RAID? And by the way, I didn't get a kernal panic while update from 4.7 to 4.8, am I lucky?

All the problems I warned you about are specific to if you installed tiger onto the raid itself. If you use the raid just for your apps and data, then you should be fine and dandy. Using the raid to boot tiger off of does work but its not for the faint of heart.

What you might want to do is divide your non-raid disk into a mac and windows partition. Then you can boot into tiger using the regular disks, without worrying about the problems that i mentioned before. Then you can use your raid for storing your data and apps. However you'll still have the problem of not being able to see the raid drive in windows. This isn't going to be solved anytime soon. So you'd have to copy the files you want to use in windows over to your regular non-raid partion and read that from windows (using macdrive).

Of course theres the option of getting an expansion card for hardware raid but i'm not sure how many people have done that.

fiermanm

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
try this

MacDrive 6 CrossStripe Edition enables Windows XP and 2000 users the ability to transparently access Mac-formatted drive arrays.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
MacDrive 6 CrossStripe Edition enables Windows XP and 2000 users the ability to transparently access Mac-formatted drive arrays.

$250 for that software. For about the same price I'd consider getting a RAID controller card instead. In the long run it will cost more than the software solution, but your RAID options are much better. I also like the option of moving the raid drives out of the computers so they don't have to run 24/7.

If you get a controller card that is compatible with Windows and Mac, your problem is solved and you have a more efficent solution than RAID 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.