How to accurately use Nike run club and treadmill

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jeffruby17, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Jeffruby17 macrumors newbie

So this is kind of annoying unless any of you smart people have ideas.

To start off with I have been using Nike run club for 3 years so I try to log all runs there (even to track miles on my sneakers)

Running outside NO problems unless I use the built in Apple Watch app (did yesterday for turkey challenge!). After this run the only way to add to Nike run club is to manually add the run to the Nike app on phone. This adds a double run on my activity (apple) app. If I delete the Nike run from my apple app all should be good - but the apple app still shows in green activity a double run. Annoying.

Now on a treadmill when I use Nike run club on watch the run is 20% shorter than actual. If I edit run in the Nike app it makes two entries in apple app (two Nike runs)- and deleting one of them still registers the double run.

If I run on treadmill and only manually put in Nike run the app still gives me double activity as it senses the hr and motion during the run

Seems only solution for treadmill is to take Watch off during run which defeats whole purpose.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

how do you know the treadmill's distance is accurate? I world just use the NRC app and ignore the distance shown on the treadmill

3. Jeffruby17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been running for many years. I use a different treadmill at gym every day. My time is exactly what my time is on outdoor run. I know how fast I can run a mile.

When I hit the mile marker at around 745, the app has me at .75 miles. No way I'm running a 830+pace. Lol. I think it has to do with long strides.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Well then there's really nothing you can do except to petition Apple/Nike to update their app so you can edit the mileage before saving the run. This is how the Nike+iPod app works on the ipod nano.

I wouldn't hold my breath. They've really took out a lot of the flexibility of these apps. No manual calibration. No use of the footpads.

The only other thing I can think of would be to put the treadmill on a 2 degree incline. Maybe that make you run harder and your armswings would match your outdoor armswing better. Longshot.

5. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

How often have you run on a treadmill? When I was doing my main training for Boston anytime I used a treadmill I could never reach the consistent speeds I could outdoors yet effort levels seemed the same. For some reason I just couldn't go as fast on a treadmill as I could outdoors.

6. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

I'm a total amateur but use the treadmill 3 times a week.... The standard activity tracker visually shows a similar difference from the actual machines for me too....

7. Jeffruby17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. Today just ran and it was off .09 miles per every mile actually ran.

8. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

Before I got the AW, back when Nike had a good app, when I would run on a treadmill with my phone on me, it was perfectly accurate. After a 4mi run there would be like .03 difference.

Now with the watch it's a disaster. I'm off anywhere from .25 to .3 per mile. Same speeds same distances. It's accurate outside tho

9. Jeffruby17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone try the Apple Watch fitness app on treadmill to see if better? Even if it is I have no way of them putting info into Nike without double counting my exercise. Bummer

10. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

I've done both to the same effect.

Pp, did you realize you can delete duplicate workouts from the iPhone activity app? It deletes the workout from the activity app/Watch but maintains the health data as long as you choose that option from the dialog box.

That's what I do whenever I decide to use the Apple Watch running app, but later manually enter the run into Nike for my personal record.

11. Jeffruby17 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

I will say this being a former trainer, treadmills at the gym are a guide and are not perfect. Why? Because regular maintenance is not done until the thing breaks and is non-functioning. Your Apple Watch, fitbit, or whatever you use is basing additional metrics such as age and weight to determine how much you burned. The treadmill calculates for as long as it goes. Sure you can sometimes enter your age and weight, but has the treadmill been oiled to give best resistance and movement? As an avid health nut, the 2 will never match. Trust me. So pick one.

13. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

If you haven't yet done an outdoor run using the Apple Workout app, it won't be calibrated and won't be accurate. You get a message to do a 20 minute run using the Apple Workout app.

I've not done any outdoor runs with the Workout app because I use NRC exclusively. Sounds like you might be in the same situation.

14. Jeffruby17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Menace,

Think we are talking about different things. I go to a gym with about 30 treadmills. My time and distances are never off more than 5 seconds. Distance on a treadmill ie- speed should be pretty darn accurate. The Watch based on my movements is off considerably. Outside it works great.

Ftoak- I use Nike exclusively too except on turkey day- I wanted that sticker. Since using the Apple workout app I have noticed my treadmill distances off by much less than before. But still off. Maybe I need a few more outdoor apple runsv