how to achieve faded poster effect in PS

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by hmai18, May 12, 2008.

  1. hmai18 macrumors 6502

    Mar 26, 2008
    Just wondering if anyone can help identify the filter or process used in the poster linked here. I'm trying to achieve the faded-ink look on the text.

    Can-Can de Bois - gravemandesign
  2. rhett7660 macrumors G4


    Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Are you talking about the black around the edges? If so it is pretty easy:

    Add a new layer on top of your image
    Fill with black
    Grab your selection tool and make an eliptical selection.
    Go to>>Selection Feather (in this step you will need to experiment to get the look of how much you want)
    Once you are happy with the amount of feathering your next step is to:
    then hit the delete button and you are set.

    If you are talking about some of the fade on the text that can be achieved by setting your foreground color to the color of the background and painting over the text with a "grunge" style brush.

    Hope this helps.
  3. samwich macrumors regular

    Aug 5, 2007
    text effect

    another way to accomplish the faded text effect is to add a layer mask to your text layer. Then proceed to paint on the layer mask with a grungy brush and a low opacity.

    If you need some photoshop brushes just type it into google.
  4. rhett7660 macrumors G4


    Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Yup.. layer mask is another way. In fact this is pretty much all I use for that type of effect. This way you can go back and forth and not ruin the original.... good stuff.
  5. wheezy macrumors 65816


    Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    Layer Masking is the way to go, how it's been explained is a way to do it. This effect is from photography and is called 'Vignette', which is actually an undesirable lens quality in the actual lens, but used quite often for effect. I know I do!
  6. silverpoebandit macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2008
    Everyone is right. Grunge brushes are the way to go. Sometimes if you're looking for a different type of distressed look, find a picture of a rock or a piece of coral you like the texture of. with that photo define you brush preset. just a way to get something different.

Share This Page