Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Hey all. Fiancee is a teacher, and we will be getting 15% off our monthly bill because of the teacher discount through AT&T.

Question 1:
I'm just wondering, since we have to activate the phone via iTunes at home, is there a way that we can enter in the teacher discount, or how do we go about getting it applied to our bill?

Question 2:
Also, since I'm signing up for a 2 year contract with AT&T, I can get a sick deal on something like the Blackberry Pearl...I'm thinking about buying it instore with my 2 year activation discount and then reselling it on eBay (since I already have the iPhone). Has anyone done this/had any problems with it?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Answer 1: The company I used to work for had the same deal with AT&T, but you get a "business line" which means you can't use it on an iPhone.

Answer 2: I didn't understand your Question 2...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Hey all. Fiancee is a teacher, and we will be getting 15% off our monthly bill because of the teacher discount through AT&T.

Question 1:
I'm just wondering, since we have to activate the phone via iTunes at home, is there a way that we can enter in the teacher discount, or how do we go about getting it applied to our bill?

Question 2:
Also, since I'm signing up for a 2 year contract with AT&T, I can get a sick deal on something like the Blackberry Pearl...I'm thinking about buying it instore with my 2 year activation discount and then reselling it on eBay (since I already have the iPhone). Has anyone done this/had any problems with it?

The price is set for the phone and the plans. My work offers 50% off of hardware and 25% off of the bill through AT&T (personal plans/family plans) but neither apply to the iPhone or any part of/any plan that has a iPhone on it. The price and plan is what it is, you either take it or leave it since no discounts apply to either the hardware or the plans.

#2, a lot of people have done that. Of course that kinda devalues the items on ebay a bit. Do some homework before you decide on which one to get for free and resell.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Answer 1: The company I used to work for had the same deal with AT&T, but you get a "business line" which means you can't use it on an iPhone.
No, I called AT&T, and they said that we would be able to receive the education discount on the billing...so I know it does apply to the iPhone. Or was the guy mistaken? I definitely clarified it with him twice, and he said that I can receive the discount on the billing statement...?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
No, I called AT&T, and they said that we would be able to receive the education discount on the billing...so I know it does apply to the iPhone. I'm just wondering how to apply it.

You can't in itunes since no discounts apply to plans with the iPhone on it :p

Get your iPhone activate it, then go to a ATT store and you will be told what I just said above. The person you talked to didn't either understand you, was in a rush to get you off the phone, or didn't care/know enough to give a valid response. There are NO discounts on iPhones or any plan that the iPhones are on, no exceptions.

Ed

padmasana

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2006
Get a refurbished Blackberry or Treo from the AT&T website. I don't think they're available in stores. I bought a reburb Treo 750 for $95 and sold it in four hours on eBay for $295.
I didn't know that employer discounts don't work toward the iPhone plan. I haven't gotten my first bill yet.
One more thing, if you or your fiancee are signing up for AT&T for the first time, take advantage of the AT&T customer referral program. It will give you and the other person $25 each in credit toward your bill.

method525

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007

Get your iPhone activate it, then go to a ATT store and you will be told what I just said above. The person you talked to didn't either understand you, was in a rush to get you off the phone, or didn't care/know enough to give a valid response. There are NO discounts on iPhones or any plan that the iPhones are on, no exceptions.

Ed

This man is right. Unless there had been a change in company policies you can't have a discount on an account with a iphone on it. Employees can't even use it on their ERP lines

ehnnwhycee

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
New York City, NY
This man is right. Unless there had been a change in company policies you can't have a discount on an account with a iphone on it. Employees can't even use it on their ERP lines

There must be some kind of confusion about the discounts and iPhone plans. I have the 3GS with a CUNY college discount. This discount is for any college student within the City University Of New York. I think its only 5% off though. Today I will be going to an AT&T store and applying my New York City Department of Education discount since I'm an employee. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

ehnnwhycee

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
New York City, NY
Ok, just looked more into the AT&T site and came across this:

"Discounts
Your account type qualifies you to the following discounts. Service discounts are applied to the primary line under eligible agreements and exclude certain rate plan types and devices (e.g. iPhone data features and packages).
Service : 5.0%"

On a side pane in my account windows it says the above. Discount do not apply towards the whole monthly plan, only the minutes part of the plan, which in my case would be only the $39.99 for 450 minutes. They don't discount iPhone data or texting plans.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009

Ed

Ok, just looked more into the AT&T site and came across this:

"Discounts
Your account type qualifies you to the following discounts. Service discounts are applied to the primary line under eligible agreements and exclude certain rate plan types and devices (e.g. iPhone data features and packages).
Service : 5.0%"

On a side pane in my account windows it says the above. Discount do not apply towards the whole monthly plan, only the minutes part of the plan, which in my case would be only the $39.99 for 450 minutes. They don't discount iPhone data or texting plans.

I think the discounts vary depending on the deal AT&T has with your company. With my company I get 12% off the Voice and Data plan, but not messaging. I get no discount on the actual iphone itself either. I save a whopping $6.40 per month off of my 450 minute plan with unlimited messaging.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
You guys realize your commenting on a 2.5 year old thread? Perhaps a mod should lock this to keep confusion down. You couldn't get FAN discounts when the iphone was originally introduced back in 07.

Things have changed now and it is possible with current plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.