How to activate request desktop site in Safari?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 3, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

Cant figure out how to do this, can anyone help?

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Scroll down when you are looking at your favorites.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 68000

No predictive text for iPad users?

I only seem to have this feature on my iPhone only. It's nowhere to be found on my iPad.

4. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

I think the iPad requests the desktop site already. You can tell that Facebook on iPhone requests their mobile site, and on iPad it requests the desktop site automatically.

5. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I think that's more to do with how their website was coded, so it's at the discretion of the website as to how they want their website to be displayed to a particular device/user agent. I'm guessing Facebook have chosen to display their full website for iPad users rather than the iPad actively requesting full desktop access. Correct me if i'm wrong though, I might be wrong.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You are right. There are some websites that serve a "tablet optimized" view when I go there on my iPad. Very annoying. I really hope this is not an iphone only feature, as I need it more on my iPad to avoid tablet optimized sites. Mobile sites on the iPhone are usually okay.

7. flatfoot99 Guest

So it only works if you have favorites??? I dont normally use favorites but added one to get this working. I enabled it and deleted favorite and it seems to be working.

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You don't need favorites. You just need to tap into the smart search field. I was just saying that as it was easier to type.

9. flatfoot99 Guest

oh thanks!

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Is there a setting in iOS 8 that allows you to always get desktop site? I hate being directed to mobile sites. I know there are some sites now (especially ones that use Onswipe) where you can set the preference to desktop but it doesn't always stay that way.