How to Activate Spaces/ Caps Lock Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dharmax, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dharmax macrumors newbie

I recently bought a brand new 13 inch plastic unibody macbook. I love it. I love Snow Leopard, the speed of the computer, the keyboard, the trackpad, and the overall quality of the computer.
    I have fallen in love with the track pads gestures such as Expose and 2- finger scrolling. I enjoy using the "spaces" feature although I find it to be a nuisance to click on the icon in my dock every time I want to use it. I went to System Preferences to try to solve the problem. I chose to program the keyboard so whenever I press F5 Spaces would occur. Unfortunately this didn't work. My question is, is there a keyboard shortcut to activate spaces?

ALSO- In the past I have used the apple Keyboard and I loved it. The one functionality I enjoyed having was that you had to hold down the Caps Lock for the button to do its job. My new MacBooks keyboard doesn't have this capability. Is there a way to solve this?

Thank You, Dharmax

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The button directly below the caps lock key will achieve the same purpose quite handily.

As for your other problem, take a look under  -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard -> Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Open your System Preferences > Expose and Spaces pane (Leopard - might have changed in SL) and you'll see the keyboard shortcut assignment.

4. Dharmax thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help. I configured my keyboard so F3= Spaces. I use Expose with my four fingers anyway but now how do I adjust my brightness?
    Also I have yet to solve my Caps Lock Problem. Please reply quickly for this information is important for me.. thanks in advance...

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i asked this when SL 1st came out and found no solution.

I've since been using Spaces by activating it w/ Expose and moving my mouse to the upper left corner. I've gotten used to it but the truth is I miss simply hitting F12.

I'll keep fiddling with the settings and see if i come up w/ anything and i'll also keep looking back at this thread...as this topic is super important to my productivity functionality.

EDIT:

Oh happy day! So I just deactivated Expose! I went to keyboard shortcuts and assigned Spaces to activate by pressing Apple Command & the "+/=" button to the left of the delete key. It works! Not as easy as just F12 but i'll take it over Expose any day of the week! Whenever my friends use my Mac they'd get upset over accidentally going to the upper left corner as they dont have Macs' of even know what expose was. This is awesome!

Let me know if you find a better solution.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Function+F1/F2 or  -> System Preferences -> Displays.

You could try reading my post above. This question gets asked in some form at least once a week.