How to add a home button to iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trek360, Nov 5, 2017.

1. trek360 macrumors 6502

Apologies if this is already well known but I hadn't heard of the assistive touch menu. Take a look to add a home button or customize to whatever you want. I've made this a shortcut to reach control center and notiications which makes it much easier for one handed usage. You can control the opacity and position of the button to your liking. Lots of customization options.

Settings - general - accessibility - assistive touch

2. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

3. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Lol. Why would anyone want to do that? The gestures are not only cooler, they are easier.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Why?

Swipe 45 degrees to the right, instantly at multitasking.

Swipe left to right across the bar and back at the previous app. So much faster than double tapping and selecting an app. Even more intuitive than using the 3D Touch on the side of the screen.

Doing this removes those gestures and defeats the screen real estate.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

the gestures are much faster.
    Also it is only transparent after a while of not using. Not the best look imo

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I guess it's still an alternative for somebody that wanted a different method if you didn't want to use the gestures, even though the gestures are likely more convenient.

7. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

It’s for those with motor skill problems. Which makes since, but why on earth would you want it if you don’t have those problems.

8. fr3lm0 macrumors newbie

You don't have to swipe in any particular direction to get at multitasking.

9. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

The only reason I ever used Assistive Touch was to prolong the life of the home button, which were prone to mechanical failure on old iPhones. Now that it’s gone, you’re absolutely right. It’s faster for most people to just use the new gestures.

10. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Try it, it’s shorter distance and faster than swiping up half way.

11. fr3lm0 macrumors newbie

You only have to swipe up about a centimeter from the bottom of the screen and stop. If you're on the home screen, start swiping up at the bottom of the dock and multitasking will engage about halfway up the dock, regardless of the direction you go. I'm not sure why they demo'd swiping halfway up the screen at the keynote

12. trek360 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've found the gestures easier too. But this might help some to use the phone more one handed and those who just want their home button (or other customization).

If you are holding the phone in your right hand alone, reaching up to the top left to swipe for notifications may not always be convenient. This just provides another option if someone wants to use it.