How to add a printer to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michael31986, Feb 6, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i have an hp photosmart 2610. it is connected to the wireless router and has always worked wirelessly on my pcs, but idk how to add it so that i can work on my mac! please i need to print a resume and can't add it :( thanks guys!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In order for a printer to work wirelessly with your mac, you need an AirPrint compatible printer.

The only way to get the printer working for now is to remove it from your router and attach it to your mac....OSX will have drivers for it, just run SU after you connect it.

AirPrint printers are not too expensive....:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/epson-...g_goog_7904_&gclid=CMb8sb7Tiq4CFaQmtAodnl2d3A

I use that one, but Canon HP (envy range) also make AirPrint models too.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

damn that stinks! is their any air printers that have copy, scan, fax and print all in one?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If it is connected to the router through networking with a designated ip address you can add it using the ip address.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

how would i know my ip? sorry not that comp savvy.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So not true. You need a Bonjour capable printer, which the 2610 is. Airprint is for iOS devices.

I don't know which version you are using, so here is the SL instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3771

You will probably only be able to print. For scanning and faxing you will need a direct connection.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Umm... no. AirPrint printers are only necessary for printing wirelessly from iOS devices. AirPrint doesn't have anything to do with wireless printing from your Mac.

OP, have you gone into Print and Scan under System Preferences to add your printer? If you click the '+' to add your wireless printer should show as a "Nearby Printer" since it's on the network. If not, you might need to download the OS X drivers from HP's site.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

doesn't show up nearby so I'm downloading the driver! hope it works :D

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

How is the printer connected to the router (if it is through USB then there will be no ip for it, it will be using sharing built into the router)? You say it works through your PCs, so you might be able to get that info through the settings of the PC. IF not you can get the routing tables for the router and match the ip to the mac addressing of the printer and find it that way (not for the non-technically inclined). You could try to use Bonjour or through a scan of your network. The issue arises if you are dynamically allocating the ip then it will refresh after a period and you have no guarantee that the printer will still be reachable by that ip the next time you print (a static is much better for this situation). All of this is probably a bit above your level of knowledge at this time.

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

it is connected to the router via ethernet! I'm just downloading the driver from hp. hope that works

----------

driver says

HP Photosmart and PSC Full Feature Software and Drivers - Mac OS X v10.6 ►
    2009-10-21 , Version:10.3, 150.46M

i have th latest os for mac i hope it still works!

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

You might need the IP. If so, you should be able to print the printers config settings. Check the printer manual for how to do it. Or you can open the router's setup and look for the connected devices table or something like that. It should list all IP's connected to the router. The printer one should be apparent.

One good thing, I have 2 networked HP printers. My old windows computers seemed to "lose" the printers every couple of months. Not one of 3 Macs in the house have ever lost the printer.

12. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

idk how to get the ip! if i go to my pc can i get it from there

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It might be obtainable through the pc. Go to the Printers section, select your printer and then go to the properties. You may be able to get it from there. No guarantees for that though. Like the other poster suggested, sometimes you can print a startup page and that will reveal the ip as well (that can sometimes be done through the printer settings or directly through the printer setup, might want to read the manual on HPs site).

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks guys! do you think the driver from the website will def help though!

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If the driver setup has some sort of configuration utility built in it will definitely help, if not, there probably isn't much you can do until you can connect to it. If you can get the host name or the workgroup from the windows set ups that will help possibly, as you could type those in to try and direct connect to it.

I would go to the PC and select the printer, select printer properties, and then print a test page (these would be the exact selection on Win7, can't remember how they are worded on XP but very similar.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Go into the printer and look at it's setting? Go into your router and determine what IP the printer is using?

It looks like there are plenty of ways to figure out what the IP is of something on your network. :rolleyes:

17. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

guys. im sorry i even made this thread. i went to see the router last night and the printer ethernet wire was connected to the in instead of the out. after that now my macbook was able to find it in the network. didn't have to install anything. thanks so miuch for everyones help. i really appreciate it. this issue is now resolved thanks guys:)