No check mark, but here's a few:
To activate these & more on iPhone:
Add New Keyboard...
The end! Simply hit the world button to cycle amongst the keyboards!
PS. You can also add the Japanese 10 key for some more...
This is a very good alternative.
I guess I'm missing something, because when I go to Add New Keyboard, there is no Emoji selection. Do I need to do something else first?
I think you need iOS 6 or 6.0.1. I saw it right away without adding any additional apps.Yes, you do need to do something else first. You need to install Emoji Free from the app store - something that poster neglected to mention!
HERE IS HOW TO ADD SYMBOLS IN YOUR SMS/EMAILS:
1) Go to settings -> general -> keyboard -> international keyboards.
2) Activate the japanese keyboard regardless of whether u speak japanese.
3) Open text box in SMS/EMAIL/Safari whatever.
4) Hit the globe button until it switches to japanese (kana not qwert) keyboard.
5) On the left hand side hit the second button from the bottom that says abc until it switches to *123.
6) Your keyboard should now have symbols on it.
refer to pictures
I did exactly that but can't see any symbols. What is the next step after the final step posted here?
Isn't there an Emoji keyboard now that can be selected and used (at least in iOS 6 and above)?
Google "glyphboard". It lets you copy and paste all sorts of symbols.