How to add an app to an iphone SYNC'D with another computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tivoboy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, I know how to add apps, share apps that sort of thing, but I have a different problem at the moment.

I sent my folks a second iphone for an international trip coming up. I had already set it up with my itunes on my mac, it was an older phone of mine. Is it also unlocked and jb'd.

Now, the issue is I need to ADD a couple apps (free apps) to that phone, but the phone is in a different city and of course it was originally sync'd to MY computer here. Of course when it is connected to my PIL mac, itunes account it won't let me sync any apps from THEIR itunes account, I get the dreaded pop-up that says "this iphone is sync'd with another itunes account, do you want to delete everything, etc...?" I don't want to do that since I already have the phone setup just the way I need it - except for a couple additional apps I need to add?

Is there a way to do this? I can remote access the other mac that has the iphone connected to it, so can pretty much manipulate anything?

I was thinking maybe create a SECOND itunes library, (what is that, hold option while launching or something?) or is there a way to actually add an app via the finder?

What about BACKUP, sync, restore, add apps?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I would create a new library just for the phone since you'll be managing it remotely. Then VNC/Screenshare and change the iTunes account to yours. From there it would copy all apps/music from the phone to the library (I believe, I've never actual done this) and you could add any you've bought.

3. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks

thanks, would i have to be logged into the COMPUTER as a different user, or can one actually log into (create) a different itunes LIBRARY-ACCOUNT under the same user? Anyone know how that is done?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No need for a new account. Quit iTunes and hold Option (Mac) or Shift (Win) while relaunching it. It should immediately ask you to create a new library or locate an existing one. Do what you need to do and then repeat the process to locate their library.

You were thinking about it correctly.

5. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

tried

I've tried now to do this, logged in remotely, created a new itunes libary on the remote computer, plugged in the phone. Logged in with MY account on the new itunes library, authenticated everything and yet, it wants to copy everything over - which I stopped, but then when I try to ADD a simple free app, it won't let me sync and says "all items on this iphone will be deleted"

Is there ANY way to do this, I am just trying to add 1 simple app.